Newbie - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-02-2011, 01:22 AM Thread Starter

Hi ! I'm looking to buy a Vulcan 750 if the price is right. I currently ride a kz305 and am ready to graduate! I'm leary to buy from private owner and saw this: 1991 KAWASAKI VN750 VULCAN for $1999 in a local motorcycle shop. It has 9000 miles on it with recent service and good tires. What do you think? Thanks !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-02-2011, 08:57 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

I'd be leery of buying a bike from a dealership! They aren't likely to know much about the bike's history, especially if the owner did his own maintenance and repairs.

It sounds to me like they are asking dealer prices for the bike. Go here, enter the requested info, and see what they say it's worth. http://www.nadaguides.com/Motorcycles

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-02-2011, 06:56 PM
If only it had 6th gear..

Hi and welcome. I think it's a little high for a 91 but I'm not up on going prices. If it looks good and well kept though, I'd pepper the dealer about stuff like the the condition of the charging system which is a sore spot on these bikes, and if you know how, I'd see if they'd let you do a test on it. The proc. is in the forums. Also, there have been upgrades to the shift linkage as well as the rubber balancers inside the engine case and they're a big deal to repair. I'm not sure what year the changes were implemented but you may be safe with a 91. Others will kick in about it I'm sure. Good luck

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-02-2011, 10:50 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. I will be sure to do my due dilligence and scour the forum.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-02-2011, 11:36 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Welcome to the Vulcan madness.

A quick check of the charging system is to hold your hand in front of the headlight while reving the engine from idle up to 4-5K rpm. It should brighten as the revs increase.
If you have a meter, voltage at the battery terminals should rise from 12.5+ volts at idle to 14.5-15 Volts at 4-5K rpm.

The vn750 design requires the engine to be pulled from the frame for a stator/alternator replacement. That is a $1000-1200 bill at the dealer.
(However TuxedoSeven has now provided us with a $20 case mod that allows the stator to be changed with the engine still installed in the bike.)

The wimpy 5mm shift tie rod inside the engine cases was superseded with a heavier duty (8mm) one beginning with the 1991 models.

The 6 rubber and plastic crankshaft balancer dampers are items that can be expected to start deteriorating on a bike of this age, especially if it has sat for long periods without being ridden at all.

Rear spline failure is also a possibility if they have not been lubed properly.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17274

I am not trying to dissuade you from buying this bike, as mine is the same year with only a few more miles on it, and runs perfectly.

I am just providing you with some ammo for dealing points in trying to talk the dealers price down.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 01:33 AM Thread Starter

I passed on the deal since they did not want to drop the price any. I asked them some of the questions you folks brought up. They were not to convincing on their answers as to the spline issue. " I'm sure there's no problem" which means " I don't know". There's always some other Vulcans to look at down the road. I especially want to thank you for the tips on fixing the charging system issues so when I do find one, I'll know what to look for. Great forum !!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement