Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

Bags that won't require me to relocate signals...

4K views 27 replies 15 participants last post by  Spockster 
#1 ·
Ok, so I've been looking for saddlebags for what seems like forever and I have yet to find a set that doesn't require that I relocate my rear turn signals. I'm beginning to think that there isn't a single set out there that is going to work on the 750 Vulcan without moving the darn signals. Thus, I'm turning to fellow Vulcan riders for some much needed help in my search. Please help me find a set! I really don't want real big bags. I've even considered getting 2 handlebar bags and rigging it up to work as saddlebags...yeah that's the point I've gotten to in my search.
Again, Please help!!!

#2 ·
Some of the smaller bags will work as long as they slope away from the signal. Do you not want to re-locate the signal, to keep it original? It's really not hard to do, there is several ways of doing it. Cost me about $16 and 8 minutes.

Oh yeah, welcome to the jungle! Might want to introduce yourself at the newbie check in.

#3 ·
i have some willy and max slants that dont require me to move the signals but the bags are tiny i cant even fit my jacket in there

#4 ·
Jadabull, I guess I didn't realize it would be so cheap and quick to move the signals. My last bike was an 82 Honda CX500c and I had to re-do all the wiring and that was a royal pain in the @$$. That said, I just didn't want to get into the all the wiring crap again. I assumed I'd have to extend the wiring to the signals from the relay (or thereabouts) in order to get them to reach the rear fender properly.
If it's really that easy and inexpensive to get 'em moved, I'd be interested in knowing where you got the hardware to do your relocation...?

BTW. I recently posted in the newbie section to into myself.

#8 ·
demension idk never measured but it seems just a tad too small for a 12 pack of bud light cans

price free some guy gave them to me for fixing his starting issue on a 1500 vulcan

#6 ·
I think I paid like $14 +shipping for my aftermarket sigs on eBay. All I did was drill a hole on both sides of the tail light bezel, the wiring runs right under the seat, I had to extend it like 8" or something on each side. You can take a look at my album to see what I mean.

http://www.vn750.com/forum/album.php?albumid=849

#7 ·
each turn signal has a pair of butt connectors for the wiring under the seat. makes extending wires a breeze if needed.

check ebay for relocation brackets. Others on here have made brackets similar in design and styling to the Kawasaki F&S brackets (which where commonly used back then to put bags on). May even find a F&S bag installation kit which includes the brackets, the mounts for bags (to keep soft bags out of the wheel), and wires with proper connectors to extend the turn signals.

#9 ·
One of the Dinosaurs on the forum relocated her stock turn signals to the tail light light. I fallowed her tech and dindnt have to rewire any thing to do it. You need a cutoff tool like a Dremel or jig saw, and a drill for hardware, a couple of flat washers, 2 screws and 2 nuts. For me the mod was free because i had every thing laying around in my parts bins. But if you had to pay for the screws, washers, and nuts you would only be looking at 2 to 3 bucks.

#11 ·
I just ordered new turn signals. Just gonna do whatever else does and put them in the tail light.
:smiley_th Smart Decision - WTG ! :smiley_th

#13 ·
As mentioned by others, it is a very easy mod. Just plug into the old existing wires coming to the original signals and run that to where ever you want to locate the new set. There is no need to go all the way back to the junction box. The option of small bags is a total waste in my opinion and you are better off not having any bags rather than bags that are too small for your needs. Make a list of the things you know you will always carry and then add a little space for additional items for overnight or long day/night rides. I went with some extra large bags and I am just getting around to relocating my signals from late last riding season. I wanted to be sure I was happy with the bag setup and I am very pleased so it is now time to finalize everything and get ready for the coming season.

#14 ·
I like the way SlimVulcan did it, Looks a lot better than the relocating bracket I mounted behind the license plate. I may do the same.

#17 ·
Thank you all for the feedback!

You guys are awesome. Thanks so much for all the feedback. I do believe putting them with the brake light is the best (and least expensive) option. Simvulcanrider, I really appreciate the pics. I'm a visual kinda guy and those pics really made the difference for me. I'll be looking into performing that mod right away, as it does look really easy and I can certainly afford the 3 or 4bucks for bolts and washers.
At first I was thinking small bags to avoid the relocation but after reading all the replies, I'm definitely going to get some pretty good size bags.

Thanks again everyone!!!

#18 ·
I don't care for "chromed" plastic so I got some metal bullets on eBay, maybe $45 for a set of 4 and did this with them. Pretty easy. Longer stems would be nice but they work. For the front, I used some large washers to keep the stems from pulling through the hole, with one side notched to fit the brackets and keep them from rotating.

#22 ·
#23 ·
I know out here where I am the economy sucks so bad that most venders (be it for motorcycle, automotive, sporting goods, what ever) will try to mete interent prices to help get their sales.

I bout a quad last spring that was in desperate need of tires. I went to Dennis Kirk, Partzilla, and all the other big name online sellers and kept coming up with prices around 200 bucks for a one 25x10.5x12 tire. Out of curiosity I went to the local Arctic Cat/ Suzuki Dealer. I actually needed a set of heated grips and didn't want to wait a couple of days for shipping. But I asked the guy about tires, and being new to quads I was overwhelmed by the tire choices. I talked with the parts clerk for a about half an hour as he asked what kind of riding I do, where I go the most, yada yada. Then he opened up his Drag Specialty book, showed me a set of tires that were pretty popular. I liked the look, but I had seen the same tire on the Web for $219.00/ tire witch I felt was way to steep for a $1500 machine. I walked out of there paying 400 bucks for all 4 tires and my heated grips were thrown in for free. I had to wait a week on my tires, but it was well worth the wait.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.