Colorado Riders? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Southwest Region AZ, CO, NM, NV, TX, UT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 01:08 PM Thread Starter

Colorado Riders?

Hey Colorado Riders

I posted on this a few months ago, but it's getting closer so It's time to check in again. My riding buddy and I are trailering our bikes to Colorado in late August to spend about 10-12 days riding in the Rockies. We are camping, either with the truck or off the bikes, depending on where we ride. We are looking for 1) riding companions who know the good roads. 2) Suggestions on bike accessible camping sites and 3) offers of hospitality

We are going to be coming to the Estes Park / Rocky Mountain Nat'l Park area on/about August 18 for two to four days, depending on where we can find to stay. If you live in that area and have suggestions for good bike-accessible camp sites that would be most appreciated. And hey, might as well ask. If anyone has a place we could park a pick up and trailer for a couple of days... Also, if you want to ride with us we can plan to meet up one of those days.

From Aug 22 to 28 we will probably be basing ourselves out of the N part of the San Luis Valley near Villa Grove on a friend's land. From there we plan to make 2-3 day loop over to Durango and up through Silverton to Montrose and back over Monarch Pass. We plan to stay somewhere near Silverton for a night or two.

This is a pretty open schedule. We plan to ride every day, and some days we may just pick a route and go. I am psyched for this big time. I have never had my bike in the mountains.

"Shutting up rarely leads to anything bad"

Joe McAdoo
Springfield, MO
[email protected]
VROC # 28175
-2004 Vulcan 1500 Classic 22000 miles
-1995 VN750 (Back home again!) 25000 miles
-1995 Suzuki DR350 Dualsport 1720 miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 02:57 PM

I am from the Montrose, Delta, Grand Junction area. It is an awesome part of the country. You cant go wrong with the Durango, Silverton, Montrose Routes. You might want to take a look at going over the Grand Mesa Hwy. 65 or highway 133 through Paoina. All very good rides with lots of camping, never drove them on a bike, but really want to now that I have one. Good luck and have fun.

2003 VN750

Deka MF Battery
Cleaned and Rebuilt Carbs Multiple Times
NGK Iridium Plugs
New Plug Wires
New Petcock w/screens
Fuel Tank Rust Removal - The Works Method
ACCT to MCCT Conversion
Brake Fluid Flush - Nice and Firm now

The List

Spline Lube
Fork Seals/Dust Caps
New Front Tire
HID Headlight Kit
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 04:58 PM Thread Starter

Hey, I see you're from Springfield! There aren't very many of us here. We do have a little unofficial vulcan group going here. I have a 1500. Two friends ride 750's. (One is my old bike and the other was bought from a forum member who moved on) and a 4th rides a 900.

Joe McAdoo
Springfield, MO
[email protected]amp.com
VROC # 28175

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 08:59 PM

You're going to love it in Estes/Rocky Mountain State Park this time of year. I live about 45 min. away and you can't pick a bad route to take. The Elk are everywhere, including the streets in the town, it is very animal friendly. I'd offer to help you out with the parking but I think my HOA is run by a 70 year old lady with nothing but time on her hands, they are very strict. There are a lot of places to camp right up by the State Park but if you haven't reserved anything yet it could be tough to get into one. Either way you're going to love it up there!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 11:39 AM Thread Starter

Thanks! Yes, leaving tomorrow. Bikes are already loaded and everything gets packed up tonight. I have never had the bike in the mountains before. he Ozarks where I live just don't qualify! We are hoping that coming into the area mid-day on a Wed in late August will be a bit of an advantage in finding a site, although I know it can be a busy area. Plan A will be to blast down to Ft Collins then head W on 14 and start looking for a place. Hopefully we will get in the area early enough to have time not to be in a rush.

Joe McAdoo
Springfield, MO
[email protected]
VROC # 28175
Sponsored Links
Advertisement