Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

Stator Poll

4K views 40 replies 17 participants last post by  kanuck69 
#1 · (Edited)
I've got a theory, It's been suggested here that the first years these bikes had fairly good stators and that Kawa switched to a cheaper stator after the 1st few years.

I suspect that the last few years of production (after the 2001 model year) Kawasaki went back to a better stator and I'd like to test this theory.

Please list your bike's year and say if your stator is original. If you have replaced your stator also let us know if you had regularly put an unusual strain on your burned out stator. Heated gloves or a few LED lights are not too bad but a heated jacket or big incandescent driving lights draw a lot of amperage.

People who bought a bike who's stator died within 200 miles of buying it please tell us it was a newly purchased bike. We don't know what strain the previous owner put on the stator before you bought it.

#4 · (Edited)
'03 20,000 miles with original stator
about 20 watts extra draw from driving lights, garmin, charging my phone ect.

#10 ·
...VN70O's are surely better machines than the VN750 counterpart....no spline lube issues...no coffee grinder...no stator probs...etc....

Thats why VN700s are worth double their equivalent...I aint jokin neither...I really believe that....and will to my grave....

Figure this....the first year of a production bike, they wanna get all "right"....it worked....

Happy birthday to the VN700 this year btw....officially 30 yrs old...that makes it an "antique" according to the NHRA....

#13 ·
...a newer member here metioned it recently...the titz would be a gear driven magneto......like older Harleys....and yeah....points....was no issue for any of those who werent lazy....it worked....no probs....Chevy 6cyl points btw....

#14 ·
As far as I know it could be original, 14k miles and doing well. R/r replaced last year.

#16 ·
You know, come to think about it that bike is complete.just gotta get sum spark and sum tires and clean out the master cylinder and get a clutch cable and get two throttle cable...wait a minute sounds like all my other pos bikes.lol

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#19 · (Edited)
Cheap enough fix.....

Git with it.. & quit pedaling !

:smiley_th

#31 · (Edited)
('86 VN750) I had 13.5 K on my stator....Balance dampers took the Stator, Rotor, Balance Gear & Engine Casing out in one shot. Had a TPE Stator (in my hands) to put in....but that never happened. Long story. I still have the MOSFET R/R w/new cable harness to be installed, after I get another TPE.

:smiley_th

#25 · (Edited)
I thought someone had already started a thread like this awhile back, too busy here to look. Did find this:
http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18332&highlight=Stator+poll

My bike was a 2002, about 10,000 miles stator fine btw.

Seems I remember the first few years 85-89 had less stator failures than the 90's models....given the bikes are even older this suggests the increase in failures was model dependent to some degree.

Also keep in mind that quite a few of you are not the original owners and unless you know for a fact you have a stock stator still in the bike it be hard to tell otherwise unless the previous owner(s) passed that info along.

#33 ·
Mines a 91, 1st stator failed about 10,000 miles into ownership. Over all I've been thru 8 stators. Some burnt up, one was mechanical failure from a faulty install. Never found any reasoning for the failures. Some lasted several thousand miles & one died 400 miles into it. That one was a used one. I even had two tpe stators fail.

I've since gone a whole new route. No more stator or r&r.
I went to an external alternator.
I need to do a write up yet. It's coming. ;)

#34 · (Edited)
after a brisk cold ride this evening theres 37670 on her and doing fine. last year i was concerned about voltage and put the mofset r/r and wiring on it and its been 14v @2k. i have a spare stator to send to tim.

Wolfie, your right these 700's love cold. runs great. cranked less than 10 seconds and started right up. sits outside under a cover with no battery tender on it. i guess that agm was worth every cent

ah sheet, i just paid for the stator rebuild and will ship it out tomorrow

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.