Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

Brakelights are there for a reason.

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  darrelc5 
#1 ·
While coming home from work today, I had a biker infront of me (I was in my Jeep).
Not sure what kind of bike it was, but that doesn't matter.
What got to me was how often this guy was slowing down (sometimes abruptly) just by downshifting, with no brakes, while in tons of traffic.

To me, this guy was pretty much begging to get rear ended.:BLAM:

Any time I start to slow, especially in traffic and even if by just downshifting, I'll atleast hit the front brake lever just enough to light the brake light (you can usually hear a faint click when the switch is hit).
This way, anyone behind me knows I'm slowing down.

Stay safe out there people and let anyone behind you know when you're slowing down or even downshifting to slow down. We don't need any members here acting as foolish as the guy infront of me was.:motorcycl

#2 ·
yeah, I do the same... And when I ride with a buddy I tap the brake not applying but enough to turn the light on when I see gravel or other 'hazard' on the road ahead so he keeps an eye out for it...

#3 ·
We point with our feet to any road debris so the guy behind knows where not to go.

Jon

#4 ·
Same here, tap the rear brake a few times to let anyone in back know that at least I'm stopping.

If I see traffic ahead coming to a sudden stop, I will hand signal too as this usually gets their attention.

I usually ride on the extremely left part of fast lane in traffic so that I can see around the car(s) ahead of me. Nice advantage of being on a bike!

Jon

#5 ·
If I'm slowing down or braking I tap the front brake 3 quick times before applying the brakes. This is, of course, if there is time enough to do this.

#6 ·
I got in the habit long ago that when I downshift I:

Roll off the throttle
While I also
Pull in the front brake (how hard determined by how fast I want to slow down)
Pull in the clutch
and then
Downshift
let out the clutch
And then balance both brakes with the engine braking....or get back on the thottle.

The idea of using some front brake, and even some rear, when you downshift does two things..
1. It clicks on the brake lights so folk behind you know your slowing down.
2. It takes some of the load off the engine so your shift down is smoother and not as "sudden" to motor.

I tend to downshift as aggressively as I tend to upshift , but I always use some of the front brake at the same time, and throw in some rear too when I want to brake quicker.

In a "panic" braking situration, I do not downshift but use both brakes ..I do of course pull in the clutch.
If I then need to accellerate out from whatever speed I am at,say to avoid something after braking.. I then do a quick mental calculation of how many times I need to tap the shifter down before I let out the clutch.
This seems to be safer than shifting down under these circumstances, because the stress induced by having to make a "panic stop" seems to make remembering what gear you downshifted to very difficult.

KM

#7 ·
OMG, there are so many erratic bikers in Tucson! I watch them in dismay for they surely have a death wish. I don't know if they are oblivious to need for protective gear, to road conditions, traffic conditions, lane position, speed, distraction of cagers around them, stopping distance requirements (their own and cars behind them) or ARE THEY JUST STUPID? How's it going to feel skating down the road on your face wearing a wife beater and dark shades, dude?

Oh, and, in case you don't know: "Helmets cause neck injuries."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.