Temporary Move to Missouri - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Great Plains Region KS, NE, ND, OK, SD

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 07:11 PM Thread Starter

Temporary Move to Missouri

I'll be temporarily relocateing in a few weeks from New Hampshire to Missouri. I was thinking about trailering my VN out with me since I'll be there from June thru January. I've been hearing horror stories from some people at work about the violent thunder storms, frequent hail, and possible tornadoes.

If I take the bike it would have to be stored outside covered when I'm not riding. I'd belocated around Maryland Heights outside St Louis.

I was hoping some Missouri riders could lend some insight into what I can expect.

Glenn Douglas
Londonderry, NH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 07:22 PM

The St Louis Area

I live a little farther north up in Illinois. By all means bring your bike with you. I'm not sure what you re hearing about the weather but it is rare to have anything compleatly damagilng. I don't live in St Louis but I am framiliar with
the area. It is a great area to ride in. slightly hilly lots af curvy roads. Winerys to visit. Home of the St Louis Cardinals, On the down side it does get hot and humid in July and August, but a good ride in the cool night air will help with that. If you enjoy your bike you would not be happy with out it.

Mcneuby
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 07:52 PM
Old Truck Junkie

It can't be much worse that west texas, and i live here yr round. lol

02 honda sabre 1100

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 09:09 PM
CW1
CW1

Most of the state is already several inches behind on rain, so the severe weather reports are somewhat exaggerated. I live in the southwest area of the state near Springfield. There are superb day rides from St. Louis up and down the historical Mississipi River back along the I-70 corridor back to Columbia toward Kansas City, and south of I-44 in the Ozarks region with some hilly twisty roads that will test your VN to the limit. Just make sure your tires have good tread. As mentioned above, the winery country can be found along the I-70 corridor and also along the I-44 corridor. Enjoy your stay and by all means, bring your bike.
CW
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 10:34 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback sounds like some nice riding.

I ran into a snag tonight. I bought a Reese hitch and trailer wiring specifically designed for my Nissan Versa econobox. I was planning on pulling a small utility trailer for the bike. I checked the Nissan manual tonight just to see what the maximum trailer weight was. The manual says DO NOT TOW. Guess I should have checked the manual first, I just figured if U-Haul and Reese make hitches for a 2011 Versa you could tow, or at least tow a small trailer.

Maybe I'll have to get a hitch for the VN and town the Versa...

Glenn Douglas
Londonderry, NH
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 11:09 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Garage
I have seen the Versa towing small trailers before.I think this is a factory "cover their butt" statement.No more than the 750 weighs I wouldn't ,hesitate to pull it with me.I sure wouldn't leave my bike home.

I'm going out on a limb here and guessing that since you own a Versa,you probably have a wife and kids.If so let her drive the Nissan and follow you on the bike and ride it there.if you don't have a wife and kids,my next question is why would you be driving a Versa?

If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 11:20 PM Thread Starter

The wife and kids are staying home for this trip. It seems to be a CYA on the part of Nissan other countries are listing the Versa with a 1320 pound towing capacity. Problem is a lot of people are saying installing the hich voids the MFG's warranty. I only drive the Versa in the rain and snow.

Glenn Douglas
Londonderry, NH
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 11:30 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDouglas View Post
The wife and kids are staying home for this trip. It seems to be a CYA on the part of Nissan other countries are listing the Versa with a 1320 pound towing capacity. Problem is a lot of people are saying installing the hich voids the MFG's warranty. I only drive the Versa in the rain and snow.
Just messing with you,I drove a Corolla for years for the same reason,I buy a full size truck,Gas prices go through the roof.Go figure, it's all about timing ,I suppose.If your wife ain't going ,you better take the bike,you need at least one "family member" to keep you company !

If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-18-2012, 09:56 PM Thread Starter

I was thinking...I have to fly home two weeks after I get to St Louis. If I booked a one way flight back to NH I could ride back to St Loius. Google maps lists the trip as ~1220 miles and 28 hours avoiding highways. That figures out to average 43.5mph. I'd have 48 hours to make the ride.

I've done 500 mile rides on a Saturday just for fun. No trailer to worry about and lots of riding along the way.

Glenn Douglas
Londonderry, NH
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-10-2012, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

Ended up trailering the VN to MO, glad I did.

First ride today from St Charles to Hermann MO along I94 real nice ride. Stopped at Daniel Boone's hous along the way nice twisting roads and rolling hills. Glad I dragged the VN 1,200 miles.

Glenn Douglas
Londonderry, NH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement