skyline drive suggestions??? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Southeast Region AL, AR, FL, GA, KY, LA, MS, NC, SC, TN, VA, WV

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-23-2009, 12:25 PM Thread Starter

skyline drive suggestions???

My wife and I will be riding our VN750s down to VA and WVA in early August, specifically touring the Blue Ridge Parkway and Skyline Drive, and probably Elkins/Monongahala Natl Forest area, and plan to go no further south than I64 this trip. I am checking out all the usual sites to plan our flexible route. Any local tidbits, don't miss stops/routes, and recommendations would be priceless. I have Verizon, am I correct in assuming cell signals will be intermitent at best? Lodging suggestions? Drop me a PM with any links, etc. We're psyched...looks like a great ride. Any input much appreciated as this will be our first trip to this beautiful region.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-23-2009, 03:14 PM
and the Adventure Cycle

I've done the B.R. Prkwy and Skyline drive. It was a great ride!! Loved the twisties!!
Only .02 I can give is.... watch out for the deer. They don't seem to be like those around my part of PA, in that if they're infront of you, they'll stay there until they're ready to move, unlike the ones here that run, and many times who knows what direction... including the deer themself!!

Have a great trip, ride safe, and gotta say...WE WANNA SEE PICS!!!! LOL

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-23-2009, 09:00 PM

Just a nit-picky detail: you won't be doing any riding on the Blue Ridge Parkway if you don't intend on going south of I-64, b/c that's where skyline ends and the BRP begins.

Beautiful part of the country. Have a great ride.

2001 VN750
16k miles
Ear Shave & Coastered
EMGO & UNI Filters
Kuryakn ISO Grips
Stebel Nautilus Air Horn
Clear Alternatives LED Tail Light
TOC MCCT
AGM Battery
Custom Footpegs
LED Voltmeter

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-23-2009, 10:22 PM Thread Starter

Nit-picky yet true...thanks for pointing that out. I was mistaking 81 as one or the other because of the 'scenic' depiction on the aaa map. Any thoughts about routes 220/219/250 west of 81? trying to do the loop thing to head back north and stay above 64.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 01:28 PM

Hi johnrwilco, I live in Charlottesville VA and ride and hike the Blueridge and SNP every weekend. 250 West from the junction of 64 and SNP is very nice although it will go through a couple of small towns (one of the my birthplace). Then it will get mountainess and more beautiful. Sweet ride. As for lodging are you camping or moteling? If camping there are a lot of beautiful campgrounds in the SNP. If moteling you might want to stay at Skyland. It is in the central SNP. A little pricy ($100ish), has cabins and a nice resturant but a nice place to stay and do a little day hiking. If you are looking for something specific drop me a line, glad to help.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 01:29 PM

Dang johnr, I just saw you were traveling in early August. My Bad! Come down in the fall with the leaves changing.........beautiful!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 05:05 PM
Recovering Dirtbiker

Lots of nice caverns (Grand Caverns, Lurray Caverns) and other interesting things off of /close to Skyline Drive. Haven't taken the bike out there yet, but I've been on both by car. Skyline drive you have to pay for, BRP is free. To me Skyline had better vistas but both have lots of curves. There's a nice little stop off of Skyline with a cafe that lots of Bikers congregate near.

Last edited by cliffInMD; 08-28-2009 at 05:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement