Weather In Central Florida - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Southeast Region AL, AR, FL, GA, KY, LA, MS, NC, SC, TN, VA, WV

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-24-2009, 05:19 PM Thread Starter

Weather In Central Florida

Anyone else getting bummed about all the rain were getting? Yea we need it but I'll be damned if it didn't wait to start til the day I got my bike. Dying to get in some more practice on these back roads before I go to the MSF course this next weekend.

Anyways was hoping some locals could give me a heads up on some decent riding around the Central Florida area.

1993 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750 <To Be Named Later>
Purchased Used on 05/09/2009
11,681 Miles...
Dade City, Florida
Iridium Spark Plugs
New Shinko 230 Tour Masters
110/90/19 Front 150/90/15 Back
Carbs Cleaned 06/22/09
Spline Lube 6/29/09
1992 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750 <Parts Bike>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-24-2009, 06:02 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

If you don't get any responses, I've had some luck finding good riding roads in my area by going to google maps. Zoom in and look for twisting roads. Will take some exploring to find which have good pavement and which are potholed or just sand, but it can be done. Unfortunately, most of Florida is flat and straight and so are the roads!

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-24-2009, 06:31 PM
Drive less, ride more...

Authority, one place you can visit for riding ideas in Florida is:

http://www.motorcycleroads.us/

But if you have yet to take the "beginner" MSF course, your really should take that class (and pass it) before going out into any more Florida traffic.

The Vulcan 750 is a bit much for many new riders, even right out of that class, so be careful with it.

After taking the class, I would encourage you to spend most of your time (initially) with the bike doing practice in an idle parking lot. At parking lot speeds, use the front brake only when stopping while going straight--otherwise, the bike will fall to the ground as if drawn by a magnet (and you will be under it). At speeds below about 15 mph, use the rear brake only, for parking lot maneuvers (that involve any real turning). The rear brake (at those speeds) makes the bike want to stand up.

Feel free to verify the above braking info with your MSF instructor(s)...

'05 VN750

For other bike pix & mods, go to:
http://s1203.photobucket.com/albums/...k/VN750%20pix/

Last edited by theauhawk; 05-24-2009 at 06:39 PM.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-25-2009, 10:59 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Send a message via Skype™ to 93VN750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Authority84 View Post
Anyone else getting bummed about all the rain were getting? Yea we need it but I'll be damned if it didn't wait to start til the day I got my bike. Dying to get in some more practice on these back roads before I go to the MSF course this next weekend.

Anyways was hoping some locals could give me a heads up on some decent riding around the Central Florida area.
Just head west on 52 to the other side of I75. Loads of great back farm roads there with actual turns and elevation changes. One of our favorite places to ride. We call it the "North Run" since we are down in the Brandon area.

Jon

93VN750, under re-construction
vn750.com Member # 828

Rick's Stator and R/R
MF AGM Battery
Coastered
Degoated
Shaved & Jetted
Iridium's
MAC Tapered Staggered Pipes
Battery/Temp/Clock Gauge
Stainless Steel Brake Lines
Dunlop D-404's
23,XXX miles and holding pending gasket change (underway!!!)
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-25-2009, 10:00 PM

Authority 84--- You live right in the middle of many miles of great 2 lane country riding. Start west out of Dade City on 52, then northwest out of San Antonio. Work your way over near Brooksville,north on ( Spring Lake road ), cross Hy 50 and continue working the small roads like Stagecoach Rd, Lake Linsey Rd and those between Hy 41 on the west and 301 on the east. Of course when you want to head home on the big road, catch 301 south right back to Dade City. Have you ridden River Road east out of Dade City ? It leaves 301 near the north end of the bypass ( last traffic light on north end of town) There are a couple of 20 mph curves on that road, and the cars kick sand onto the pavement in those curves. Be slow and carefull. At the end of that road, in River Park, you can practice in the several parking lots there.

57 years experience,Zero accidents. Starting with 1947 Indian Chief. Now VN750 , V65 Magna, Burgman scooter.

Last edited by waggy1236; 05-25-2009 at 10:02 PM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-26-2009, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

When I brought the bike home instead of taking 52 home I opted to go the back way. Curley road to St. Josephs which let out at 21st street here in Dade city but I made a wrong turn on St. Joe's and ended up over by I75 but I gotta say its a pretty nice ride out that way. Once I have my license, that is probably the way I'll head first but maybe keep going past I75 see what the rides like out that way. I've been down river road a few times before, been awhile but seems like it could be a fun ride out towards that park at the end. I remember thinking the few times I've been down Spring Lake that it would be fun to just cruise down in a convertible or something but that was before I even imagined getting a bike. I have some friends at work that live off that way so I hope to get a chance to ride with them. I would have to agree that a 750 is a bit much to start on but for the price I paid I couldn't pass it up.

But til this weekend weather permitting only riding I'm gonna be doing is around the block. Gotta say these block roads are a pain, found one with a manhole cover sticking about 6 inches above the road, and with the rain every stop sign I come to has some seriously slick mud, didn't notice it until I about slipped right over.

Anyways thanks as always for the great advise and I cant wait until I can legally ride my bike. If you see a dark green/turquoise VN750 pass you with a rider wearing a full face black helmet don't forget to wave and I'll do the same.

1993 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750 <To Be Named Later>
Purchased Used on 05/09/2009
11,681 Miles...
Dade City, Florida
Iridium Spark Plugs
New Shinko 230 Tour Masters
110/90/19 Front 150/90/15 Back
Carbs Cleaned 06/22/09
Spline Lube 6/29/09
1992 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750 <Parts Bike>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement