Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

Turn signals

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  750Doug 
#1 ·
My bike is an '88. Shouldn't the turn signal switch stay in place when you push it over to the right or left? Mine doesn't, I have to hold it with my thumb, which kind of sucks because I'm one of those guys who likes to give some notice I'm about to turn.

So does this mean my switch is broke inside, or is this how it's supposed to be?

#4 ·
Some of the early VN750's (and I think yours is one of them) had self-canceling turn signals.

A nifty feature! Why more bikes don't have them I guess is purely a cost-saving measure on the part of the makers.

This technology dates back to the 70's, so it's not like they'd be offering "bleeding edge" stuff......:mad:

Anyway (I'm thru ranting, now)....that may be why your switch moves back.

Does it reset after several seconds, or so?....

#9 ·
Could be the self canceling feature has worn out and won't hold when switched on?

#10 · (Edited)
Mine had a ball bearing & spring set up that locked it on. When I converted it to selfcanx I took out the ball bearing. Split your control and you should see a #1 phillips screw. If so remove the screw and metal plate. A small ball bearing should be in a slide and pocket area. Check bearing and possibly steal a BB from a neighbor kid and see if its larger size will work. Anothe thing that might work would be a small sinker (non-lead) if your a fisherman.

#13 ·
Thanks Korr. They have some good stuff there, some of it better priced than I've seen on Ebay. :smiley_th

(I found the problem with mine BTW, now I'm just trying to find the single part I need, rather than the whole control assembly, if I can.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.