Good deal on an '86 - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Great Lakes Region IL, IN, IA, MI, MN, MO, OH, WI

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-03-2015, 09:17 PM Thread Starter

Good deal on an '86

New to this forum and eager to get your opinion. From what I've read so far you are all very helpful and encouraging. I don't own a Vulcan yet but have been looking at them pretty hard. I am going to look at an 86 vn750 Sunday afternoon. Pics look good and he has a mechs receipt for recent carb clean and stater replacement. It comes with saddlebags, three helmets, two jackets, a pair of riding pants and two sets of gloves. Here comes the whopper......it has 179,000 miles on it. He is asking $750. I have been told to walk the other way and also told that if it made it that far it must have been well maintained.
Very interested to hear what your opinions and experiences have been with a bike with soooo many miles. I'm not scared to get my hands dirty and have some friends who consider themselves mechanics, but I don't want to spend a whole lot of time and money on a big project. Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-03-2015, 10:47 PM

Garage
4 opinions:

1. Its a 1986 model. It will have something broken, rotted, or worn out on it.Be prepared to do maintenance/repairs

2. Its got 170,000 miles? It will have something broken, rotted, or worn out on it. Be prepared to do maintenance/repairs.

3. If you want it, it's your money. It's 30 years old. Be prepared to do maintenance/repairs.

4. Test the charging system. If a shop put in a stator and he can sell it with gear for $750 dollars, be prepared to do maintenance/repairs. Most shops charge $800+ just to do the stator. $100+ for the stator. $100 just to pull the carbs not counting the labor to clean and set thing. HUMM, smelling a fish story coming on.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-04-2015, 12:50 AM
1986 VN750

Garage
Wow, that may be the highest mileage VN750 out there?

1986 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
NGK Iridium Plugs #7803/DPR7EIX-9
Duralast Gold ETX15 AGM Battery
Coastered & Shaved
TOC MCCTs
Metzeler ME880 [110/90-19, 170/80-15]
Balance Dampers Replaced
Tuxedo Mod
Rebuilt Forks w/ Progressive Springs
V&H Cruzers
VN750.com Grill Cover
Meanstreak Seat
Emgo 23-92411 Handlebars
MOSFET FH012AA R/R

1990 Kawasaki Vulcan 750

1998 Honda VFR800 FI

2014 Honda VFR800F

1989 Pontiac Firebird Formula 350

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-04-2015, 06:22 AM Thread Starter

I know better. And common sense tells me to walk away but I'm getting wrapped up in owning/riding again. It don't cost me nothing to look at it Sunday and it may be the only time to see a bike with that kind of mileage. Thanks for your time and opinions
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-04-2015, 09:03 AM
Mod

For a bit more money you could find one with much less miles. Where in the great lakes region are you? Perhaps someone could come with you to check it out.

2003 1600 Classic
Sold
900 Seat Mod
Iradiun Plugs
V and H Cruzers
Windshield with Lowers
LED Tail Lights
Saddle bags
Chads Floor boards
Highway pegs
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-04-2015, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

I apologize, I posted this last night and thought I had clicked on the general discussion forum. I realized where I had posted it this morning. I'm in Kansas City MO so I guess I do qualify for the Great Lakes Region. I am hopefully going to look with a friend who rebuilds bikes in his spare time. Not expecting much.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-06-2015, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

Thank you all for your advice. The bike sold before I got to look at it. Ended up finding a 2001 EN500 with 9xxx miles. Talked him down to $900. Going to change oil, lube the chain and hit the road. Looks like I need to join another forum :-)
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-06-2015, 07:10 PM
Headbanger/Popes of Hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandekc View Post
Thank you all for your advice. The bike sold before I got to look at it. Ended up finding a 2001 EN500 with 9xxx miles. Talked him down to $900. Going to change oil, lube the chain and hit the road. Looks like I need to join another forum :-)
if it's an 2001 Vulcan 500, then it's not an "EN500", it's an "500 LTD". EN500's were only made up to year 1996, also that same year Mother Kaw, but out the 500 LTD. both are Vulcans, both are 500's, but both are have differences....just so you know.

if it goes vroom or boom, I LIKE IT!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement