nice ride up to portage lake sunday.ohio weather was great!! - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Great Lakes Region IL, IN, IA, MI, MN, MO, OH, WI

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

nice ride up to portage lake sunday.ohio weather was great!!

yep we left the house bout 12:30 and rode out of coshocton, up state route 93, to the lake then we stoped at the cementety in green,oh. on up to akron to see some family. then down state route 21 to strawsberg. and back home. we put 150 mile in and the bike ran great.

2002 vn750,7800 mile,homemade drag pipes,harley heratige seat,honda sissybar,led rear turn signals,
iridium plugs,marbled,110/90/19 kenda kruz front,
170/80/15 kenda kruz rear,saddlebags.
whats to come****handlebars,highway pegs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 05:09 PM
Columbus, Ohio

I resumed my bike commute last night. I remounted the r/r by the left rear foot peg and bought the yausa (yuasa?) MF battery. Now I hear I can't use a float charger on it.
Need to find a way to make my bags ride higher (I know, I know...cold water). They are okay, but kind of close to the pipes.
I have yet to do the oil and coolant change. When that is done, I need to figure out a good long ride. Did a short ride to a local lake.
We were talking about painting helmets a while ago. Mine is done, but doesn't look as good as I had hoped. It was sort of an Odyssey...paint, remove paint. Paint again. Repeat. From twenty feet it looks pretty good. Had to use a Krylon bright yellow, as the Neon stuff by Rustoleum would not stick. See my avatar.....I haven't figured out posting pics, yet.

Jim
'95 Kawasaki Concours

Sold my Vulcan

I do LOTS of dumb stuff. Riding is only one of them.

Last edited by jimkonst; 04-05-2010 at 05:24 PM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 05:26 PM
Headbanger/Popes of Hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimkonst View Post
I resumed my bike commute last night. I remounted the r/r by the left rear foot peg and bought the yausa (yuasa?) MF battery. Now I hear I can't use a float charger on it.
Need to find a way to make my bags ride higher (I know, I know...cold water). They are okay, but kind of close to the pipes.
I have yet to do the oil and coolant change. When that is done, I need to figure out a good long ride. Did a short ride to a local lake.
We were talking about painting helmets a while ago. Mine is done, but doesn't look as good as I had hoped. It was sort of an Odyssey...paint, remove paint. Paint again. Repeat. From twenty feet it looks pretty good. Had to use a Krylon bright yellow, as the Neon stuff by Rustoleum would not stick. Pics if I can figure it out.
Or maybe I will use the pic for my avatar.....watch this space.
why can't you use a "float charger" on the battery?
also there will be a nice poker run next month in the hills (Logan, OH). the wife and I will be down there for the poker run and the weekend.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 05:32 PM
Columbus, Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruger View Post
why can't you use a "float charger" on the battery?
also there will be a nice poker run next month in the hills (Logan, OH). the wife and I will be down there for the poker run and the weekend.
I was reading here in the electical thread that somebody had to return his battery to Sears, and they told him not to use a float charger. He had Ignition probs. Do you use a float on that battery?

I have never done a poker run...not even sure how they work. Remind me (and others) as it approaches...there are some nice roads down there. One from Nelsonville to Athens (Ithink) is supposed to be great. I will look into that.

Jim
'95 Kawasaki Concours

Sold my Vulcan

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 07:00 PM
Headbanger/Popes of Hell

Quote:
I was reading here in the electical thread that somebody had to return his battery to Sears, and they told him not to use a float charger. He had Ignition probs. Do you use a float on that battery?

I have never done a poker run...not even sure how they work. Remind me (and others) as it approaches...there are some nice roads down there. One from Nelsonville to Athens (Ithink) is supposed to be great. I will look into that.
I have a Westco MF battery and I use a "battery tender" on it and have had no problems yet.

as for how a poker run works (they can be really fun) there are 5 stops in a poker run. you start at the first stop, draw a card and then ride to the next stop to draw another card until you have stopped at all 5 stops and drawn 5 cards (or a hand in poker) then who ever has the highest hand at the end of the run wins!

yes! there are some great roads down there!

Last edited by ruger; 04-05-2010 at 07:11 PM.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 06:54 AM
Columbus, Ohio

Seems simple enough. How many usually turn out for a ride like the one in Hocking?

I had a Westco that I used a battery tender on, too, and it was fine. But this thing with sears and an aircraft mechanic I know who says the same thing has got me wondering.
Since this Yuasa const so much I want to know if what they are saying is true.

Jim
'95 Kawasaki Concours

Sold my Vulcan

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 12:01 PM
Headbanger/Popes of Hell

Quote:
Seems simple enough. How many usually turn out for a ride like the one in Hocking?

I had a Westco that I used a battery tender on, too, and it was fine. But this thing with sears and an aircraft mechanic I know who says the same thing has got me wondering.
Since this Yuasa const so much I want to know if what they are saying is true.
from what I understant, a lot of bike show up, and more every year. right now, I know there will be at least six bikes there! that is how many we have in our group.

as for the battery thing....yeah, those Yuasa are not cheap! so what to do?!

does this help?

https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9506

Last edited by ruger; 04-07-2010 at 12:07 PM.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 03:12 PM
Columbus, Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruger View Post
from what I understand, a lot of bike show up, and more every year. right now, I know there will be at least six bikes there! that is how many we have in our group.

as for the battery thing....yeah, those Yuasa are not cheap! so what to do?!

does this help?

https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9506

The link helped. I re-read the instructions a while ago, and they did state that if the charge gets lower than about 75% you should begin the charging with too much voltage (don't remember how much) for the first five minutes. It overcomes the batteries resistance to taking a charge. Otherwise it will not take a complete charge.

I plan to give it a maintenance charge during the slow months.

Jim
'95 Kawasaki Concours

Sold my Vulcan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement