Hocking Hills - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Great Lakes Region IL, IN, IA, MI, MN, MO, OH, WI

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-25-2009, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
Columbus, Ohio

Hocking Hills

Today I took my new bike from Columbus, to Logan, Ohio. This is about twice as far as I have ever ridden a bike before. I wanted some company, but nobody was on the board when I checked, so I went solo. I left Columbus late, and so didn't expect to see any other bikers in the hills. In fact, I arrived in the area around two and saw perhaps sixty or more bikes there and enroute. The leaves were beautiful, the roads were twisty enough for me ( I couldn't tell you which roads I took, but headed for Cantwell Cliffs, then Rock House, then Old Man's Cave. I took route 33 there and back. The temps were in the low fifties, the sunw as out almost all the time, and the skies were a beautiful blue.
I need to learn how to lighten up on the throttle. My hand was seriously hurting most of the trip.

Hopefully there is time for another ride before the weather turns.

Total mileage probably 130 miles.

Jim

Jim
'95 Kawasaki Concours

Sold my Vulcan

I do LOTS of dumb stuff. Riding is only one of them.

Last edited by jimkonst; 10-25-2009 at 07:10 PM. Reason: 'cause I screwed up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-25-2009, 07:16 PM
CWO3 Navy (Retired)

Sounds like a great ride. Get yourself some Kuryakan ISO Grips with Throttle Boss, they are great on your hands. I had them on my Vulcan and now on my Harley.

The Flag on my bike honors those who serve our Country and those who have served!
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-25-2009, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
Columbus, Ohio

I have been checking them out. I am fairly broke right now, so I won't buy them any time soon. Maybe one of my kids will buy them for Christmas.
I'm wondering, though, if a cruise control or throttle lock might be a better way to go. Then again, I want heated grips, too. I need to see them all in the flesh, and see if there is enough handle left for me.

Thanks,

Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffhusn View Post
Sounds like a great ride. Get yourself some Kuryakan ISO Grips with Throttle Boss, they are great on your hands. I had them on my Vulcan and now on my Harley.

Jim
'95 Kawasaki Concours

Sold my Vulcan

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-25-2009, 08:09 PM
CWO3 Navy (Retired)

I thought I'd want a throttle lock too until I got my Throttle Boss, I have full control all the time and I can relax my fingers and maintain my speed with ease. Heated grips, in my opinion, are a waste. Good gloves with a liner have kept my fingers warm down to 40 above zero, which is my riding limit.

If you decide on ISO Grips get the ones for the Gold Wing, you get about an inch of extra room and they fit great.

The Flag on my bike honors those who serve our Country and those who have served!
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-25-2009, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Columbus, Ohio

Now this is good information. 40 degrees is my limit only because my golves don't work in colder stuff.

Now, the ISO has a tab on it like a small throttle boss...is that sufficient, or should I get an ISO without that tab and buy the ten dollar throttle boss?

Jim

Quote:
I thought I'd want a throttle lock too until I got my Throttle Boss, I have full control all the time and I can relax my fingers and maintain my speed with ease. Heated grips, in my opinion, are a waste. Good gloves with a liner have kept my fingers warm down to 40 above zero, which is my riding limit.

If you decide on ISO Grips get the ones for the Gold Wing, you get about an inch of extra room and they fit great.

Jim
'95 Kawasaki Concours

Sold my Vulcan

post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-25-2009, 08:28 PM
Giggity!

Garage
That is a beautiful ride. I like even better from zanesville to logan. But the logan area is nice, you should look for the old civil war artillery furnaces. They're pretty cool.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-25-2009, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
Columbus, Ohio

How about Zanesville to Marietta to Logan, and back. That would be a bun burner. I have seen one of the furnaces along the Muskingum, somewhere, and a really big shovel scoop that you could park a short bus in.

Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanuck69 View Post
That is a beautiful ride. I like even better from zanesville to logan. But the logan area is nice, you should look for the old civil war artillery furnaces. They're pretty cool.

Jim
'95 Kawasaki Concours

Sold my Vulcan

post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-25-2009, 09:35 PM
CWO3 Navy (Retired)

ISO Grips do not have a tab so you must be looking at the Throttle Boss. I bought the new Contoured Throttle Boss. You hand naturally rests on it and you don't even realize it's there. Here is a pic of the new Throttle Boss:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	new_throttle_boss.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	2396  
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-25-2009, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Columbus, Ohio

Yeah, that's what I was looking at.
So that's about eighty or so dollars for great grips and throttle control.
Ouch.
In case you can't tell, I'm a cheap s.o.b.
Or I could just get the throttle boss for seventeen from Kuryakin or ten from the generic offering.

Jim

Quote:
ISO Grips do not have a tab so you must be looking at the Throttle Boss. I bought the new Contoured Throttle Boss. You hand naturally rests on it and you don't even realize it's there. Here is a pic of the new Throttle Boss:

Jim
'95 Kawasaki Concours

Sold my Vulcan

post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 05:51 AM
Headbanger/Popes of Hell

you can try a "cramp buster" (I think that's what they are called) for around $10. I had to get/use one the first time I rode down to the hocking hills (Nelsonville).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement