Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

Mike's Custom Grills

10K views 34 replies 17 participants last post by  slimvulcanrider 
#1 ·
I found on ebay an individual who is selling custom grills for all makes of bikes to include the vn750. Has anyone bought one and installed it. Also, I do not buy or sell on ebay anymore because of unauthorized charges ebay sometime ago. I cannot send a message by ebay to Mike. Does anyone have another email address for him. thanks

#4 ·
I have one on the way. Should be here tomorrow or Monday. I'll let everyone here know how it works out. I was in contact with him before Xmas trying to convince him to make some for our bikes. I did find his address in one of the emails. Mikes Custom Grills smadamike@yahoo.com

#5 ·
#6 ·
That is a great price for the grills. Boy do they look great. Just picked up a engine grill on Ebay at a good price and a seat pad. This looks like something I also need, they are 1/3 the price of other ones on Ebay, and they are new.
Thanks for the info.

#7 ·
They look Great!!! Hope he makes some with the maltese cross,skull center for our bikes.Then I'll have to get one!!!

#9 ·
Well for what it's worth. I've been e-mailing him back and forth a few times. He's interested in doing a group run of vn750.com oriented grills for us. I don't have an exact quote on the cost yet. We're still working out a few details of file formats & such. I'm looking for ideas for the main body of the grills. I'm going to creats a simplified version of the logo, but I don't think it should be the main of the grill. I kinda like the thought tribal flames with the logo at the top. Shoot me some Ideas. If we can get a group idea worked up, I can work up a design or two. put it to a vote on the final & as long as we have enough orders it will all be good. I should know in the next day or so for a minimal order. Later!:beerchug:

#10 ·
i like the grills, it is a "cheap" dress up, and could be an identifing vn badge if one could be designed. however, even though i like it, the idea, living in texas, where ambient temp. from now till oct. will rarely be less than 80 deg., more likely to be 90-103, i would be concerned that the cooling would be affected.. any thoughts?:confused: ride safe:motorcycl

#12 ·
Most of his designs seem to have large sections that would block off airflow.

I think if you really wanted something shiny there, you should paint the stock grill silver and/or find a sheet of "expanded" screen and have it chromed.

The bike is watercooled, so even if the grill does not cause it to overheat..you have to figure it is reducing the efficiancy of the system...which in the long run does mean more engine wear.

I have seen a few bike with the stock guard painted silver and it looked pretty good.

KM

#11 ·
Please keep us informed, I would be interested in one also

#15 ·
My bike with Mike's Custom Grill installed. Opinions?

Attachments

#17 ·
Thanks for the pic. Being a visual guy, I was wondering what they would look like on the bike. I noticed he (I think its the same guy) has the vulcan logo cut out on one for the bigger nomads etc....but not sized for the 750 (yet). A plasma cutter is a wonderful thang!!!!!

#18 ·
I sent him another email tonight trying to get an estimated price we pay & a min quantity. I have yet to hear. & I haven't heard alot of comments as to what should be on/in the vn750.com cover. I still think it would be kinda cool if we came up with one.

#20 ·
I dont think the Vulcan badge would look very good. It has to be something narrow, as our radiators are tall and narrow. When I talked to him a while back, thats what he told me about a design.

#21 · (Edited)
Pics

Found pics on another site I belong to of some of the grills they have had made this is from a 900 LT:

What I am interested in is a front mud flap (after having to clean out the radiator after the PO ran the bike thru some fresh asphalt):

#24 ·
The one I posted about is from dbcycleparts on e-bay. Earlier in the thread they were talking about "Mikes Custom grills" Just a FYI

#27 ·
Good news! Good News! I've been responded to. Here is what was returned, minus a'bit of info. Me to know stuff.

Jason, assuming there was a multiple order placed i could let each grille go at a discounted rate. Once the order was filled and seperate orders would follow, the grille would simply enter production as another custom grille and the rebate would be discontinued. Simply because of the cost to manufacture One piece. The grilles are set at a low price simply so im competitive. I would say an order of 10-20 @ $35, 20-50 @ $33, anything more than 50 we can talk about it. Of course shipping would be separate, and cost depending on where it would be shipped. ( blanked info) I assume you work, so if you cannot call until later in the evening simply give me a heads up the day prior so i know to expect the call. Hows the design coming? I look forward to seeing it.
kind regards
mike

So we need to start really putting some effort into this. A cool grill unique to vn750.com members is what will make this... us/ours. I would love to see 5 or 6 ideas from other members. I don't want to, or plan on being the only source for thought on this. As long as we keep it geometric and in-mind of a stencil. (Everything has to have an edge to hold on to) I'm sure we can find something to let us know who we are! Can't wait to see the Ideas, Kanuck69.

P.S. Keep it open & airy!

#31 ·
Good news! Good News! I've been responded to.

So we need to start really putting some effort into this. A cool grill unique to vn750.com members is what will make this... us/ours. I would love to see 5 or 6 ideas from other members. I don't want to, or plan on being the only source for thought on this. As long as we keep it geometric and in-mind of a stencil. (Everything has to have an edge to hold on to) I'm sure we can find something to let us know who we are! Can't wait to see the Ideas, Kanuck69.

P.S. Keep it open & airy!
Thats what I was thinking...How about our Home Page logo

#28 ·
Grill Cover Update - Re: Temp. Issues

I've had my grill cover on my bike for almost two weeks now. There was some concern about the cover blocking air flow to the radiator...and since I live in what seems to be the hottest city in the northern hemisphere, I thought I'd report back what I've seen so far.

Our temps the last two weeks have been getting very close to, and depending on what part of the city you're in up into the 90's. I haven't noticed any change in the operating temperature (gauge needle location) of the bike. I'll be keeping a close eye on it as we get into the dog days, but so far so good.

This is, of course just one guy's experience and it's only been two weeks so take it for what it's worth, but I think it's more than we have to this point.

Forgot to mention, I've got the flame cover. The flame and the eagle look to have the most open and airy design from looks. The skull looks to have quite a bit of metal left in the design, so that may weigh into the equation too. Just a thought.

#29 ·
:motorcyclI just received mine in the mail today. I ordered the flames for mine. Have not installed it yet but when i do i will be sure to leave some feed back. I have seen them on other bikes and they look great for a small price. I paid a total of $52.00 which includes shipping and handeling. I will try to post some pics. when i am done. Thanks, BUCKMAN

#30 ·
any updates? for $35 I am in. let me know, i would rather buy one that everyone is getting vs. one of his generic designs

#32 ·
Unfortunatly, We didn't get enough intrest at the time I was conversing with him. I'm sure if some design was set as a group approval & confirmed orders, we could approch him again. But at the time , there was alot of concern about air flow restriction & over heating. So that's kinda where it's at.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.