Intermittent head light - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Northeast Region CT, DE, ME, MA, MD, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, VT

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Gaz73

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-17-2016, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

Intermittent head light

Can anyone give me some advice on what would be causing my head light to work intermittently? I have also lost a charge on the battery.
Ralph
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-17-2016, 07:25 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphRunne View Post
Can anyone give me some advice on what would be causing my head light to work intermittently? I have also lost a charge on the battery.
Ralph
Disconnect the battery leads, both of them. While there, check for anything dirty, then screw the screws ( or however your battery is set up ) back into the battery housing with both wires disconnected.

Pull the headlight off. It's a matter of two phillips screws to remove the external ring from the headlight housing, no need to remove the headlight in full, just the bulb.

It should have a three prong connector in its rear, disconnect that from the bulb.

Clean both ends of that connector, headlight has three prongs and connector is female IIRC. You can invest a buck in a small wire brush at 99cent stores ( hopefully if they in your neck of the woods ), and those do the cleaning trick well. You can also use WD40 as a cleaning agent on connectors and it will give the plastic a longer life drinking up the oils.

Do you have alligator clip wires? Great! if not, then kludge something together that does the same thing ( clothes pins, springs, nut/bolt, whatever ) because you need at least three hands.

Hook a test lead to the center connector of the headlamp, and the other end up to the battery ground.

Hook another test lead to the battery positive. Touch that lead to the other two tabs on the headlight. It should light up with both, one is your high beam test, and the other is your low beam.

Look into the headlight housing itself now... not the lamp, set that aside on a rag. Check for any loose wires near their necks where they meet their connectors... ( most common stress point on a wire ). Check every single wire in that housing visually. Any frays? Any rubbed off insulation? The back of the bulb is pretty large and puts a lot of stress on those wires when its put back into the housing.

Next area to check would be behind and around the steering column and the neck. Does this happen while riding? turning? only straight? Overnight parked then happens in the morning? More information would be helpful to help you further.

With the little information above, sounds like you should be looking for a short, but also, always remember to isolate problems instead of thinking there is only one. There could be two or more all at the same time.

Best advice from me... stay stupid, remain meticulous, electricity couldn't care less what you think is wrong.

Hope this helps and i stand corrected in advance.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-18-2016, 03:23 AM
Tinkerer

Garage
I had the same problem.

Another member (Slim) suggested the below, it worked for me buddy, hope this helps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimvulcanrider View Post
I have seen this before.. quite a few times.. simple and easy fix.. there is a ground wire that runs from the battery box to the transmission on the brake side of the battery box. I see the bolt on the transmission backs off just a little bit allowing corrosion in there. So minuscule amount almost not able to see it, but its enough to cause a bad ground.. as the Stator starts generating voltage it opens up that gap and the ignition system and headlight end up eating all the battery voltage. Just pull off the cable, clean the cable eyes and the mounting surfaces on both the transmission and battery box and you should be fine.
RoadHopper likes this.

Man can not live by bread alone... he needs Duct tape & WD40
Sponsored Links
Advertisement