NE Crew Group Rides - Safety - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Northeast Region CT, DE, ME, MA, MD, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, VT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-18-2012, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

NE Crew Group Rides - Safety

Just had a thought...usually in really large groups its taken care of, but IMO on a ride with 4 or more, one rider needs to carry a first aid kit. Im certed Advanced First Aid, Tom is an EMT, and my buddy Jack is a retired NYC EMT....but we should have a basic kit with us when we go, gods forbid. Something to think about.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-18-2012, 08:49 PM

I was on a fundraiser ride 2 weeks ago, and as an attendance prize I won a real nice first aid kid. It's now in the saddlebag and I've been designated club medic.

JC

VROC #35307

2013 HD Iron 883
2002 VN 750
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-19-2012, 11:14 AM

Garage
Thanks for reminding us........remind me when we do the next ride...I have a kit in the cage, but I keep forgetting to bring it along on the bike

I now have the bigger bags on the bike, so I can easily carry it with me....if i remember to transfer it to the bike from the cage.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-20-2012, 10:58 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

I would like to hear some suggestions on what first aid training we should get, and what should be included in a good mc oriented first aid kit.
(The contents of the first aid kit in each of the trucks at work seems not all that well thought out to me.)

I have had basic first aid training years ago, but really need to take a refresher course.
I wonder if the Red Cross or St. John's Ambulance has mc or outdoor oriented specific courses available???
Something to research out here I guess.

Here is a link to CD and Bear's website, with a very well thought out checkoff list and comprehensive first aid kit for mc camping trips.
http://www.cdthayer.com/cruiserlist.htm

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html

Last edited by OlHossCanada; 09-20-2012 at 11:02 PM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-21-2012, 02:40 PM

Garage
The kit I have is a basic Auto emergency kit, but I also included items that I picked up from a coarse I took on Emergency treatment for sports.
It does include some "bandage" wraps that can be utilized to immobilize a patient or limbs in case of severe trauma or broken bones....not to mention a tournique

I can make a list of what's in it and post it here this weekend......it would be a good time to check the expiration dates on certain items
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-21-2012, 05:01 PM Thread Starter

Im waitin to see what others write before I post mine....I have Advanced First Aid, but also know CPR. Remember, ya dont want a HUGE kit...just enough to keep yer buddy good until EMTs or ALS arrive. Simpler is often better....biggest thing is treatment/immobilization. Dont move em from where they lay (unless they severed an artery)...

I was coming back from my Moms yesterday, and was just about to leave a 30mph zone and hit a 55 to go over the mountain, when I rounded a curve, and saw a guy laying in the middle of the road, next to his mangled bicycle.
Must have just happened...I pulled over out of the way and hobbled over...911 had been called...told the guy not to move at all, and he was complaining about lower back (think thats where the car hit him)...but he was coherent, not bleeding besides a lil road rash, so I checked on the driver of the car.....elderly woman, and after she hit the bike, ran head on into a rock outcropping...front of the car was toast. She was outside, and in a panic...I also saw that the airbag had deployed (this can easily break ribs in an older person)....seemed like she was going into shock, so I shut her car off, opened the back door, and had her sit down....I stayed with her until a woman came over to stay with her....I returned to the biker...he asked me how the woman was, so I told him that she was more concerned about him...he asked me to tell her not to worry, and that he'd be fine...EMTs were close, so I left so as not to get in their way...

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-21-2012, 10:20 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
my first aid kit.. a piec of plastic and duct tape. thats what they give us in the service to patch bullet wounds and such, so its got to be good enough for an emergency kit
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-22-2012, 05:33 PM Thread Starter

No gunpowder to cauterize ???? Painful, but works...used that on my foot in '77 (in a plane, yet)...7.62x39 hole, lol....never been right since...

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-22-2012, 11:36 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimvulcanrider View Post
my first aid kit.. a piec of plastic and duct tape. thats what they give us in the service to patch bullet wounds and such, so its got to be good enough for an emergency kit
Be good for sucking chest wounds to help you breathe if you poke someting like a rod or a rib into a lung I guess. I wouldn't have thought of it before now though.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9127
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-22-2012, 11:53 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
exactly hoss... and the duct tape by itself can be used in combination with cloth from clothing to make a bandage
Sponsored Links
Advertisement