NY State bike plates...grrrr - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Northeast Region CT, DE, ME, MA, MD, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, VT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

NY State bike plates...grrrr

Well, fairly recently Im guessing, the state of NY in its infinite wisdom, began making bike plates from aluminum instead if steel (mebbe other states did as well). I still have my old steel Harley plate (a custom "HOGWLD"), which was tacked to 5 different bikes, prolly over 25k miles, and still looks new...
Well, with this aluminum plate, right around the 2000 mi mark, the top ears of my plate broke off and the plate went down the road....had I not been wearing a half shell, never would have heard it....
Found it and fixed it....I took two thin steel washers and JB Welded them to the back to reattach the ears...prolly wouldda been enough, but no, Wolfie cant stop there...I took 2 pieces of strap hanger (the perforated kind for plumbing pipe, holes lined up great) and siliconed em verically from top to bottom. Reattached with 4 bolts now, and worked like a charm !!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 06:05 PM

What was your first thought when you heard something fall off of your bike and bang along on the road?

I have an eBay chromed frame around my plate and it is very solid. But with the stock location (like a mudflap) I'm not surprised if they get whipped around a ripped off more often.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
What was your first thought when you heard something fall off of your bike and bang along on the road
I first thought I ran over somethin...rest of the bike is nice and tight and LocTited...but then I glanced in the rear view (was only doin 30mph, but rough road), seen it cartwheelin away, lol...

Quote:
I have an eBay chromed frame around my plate and it is very solid. But with the stock location (like a mudflap)
In NY, especially troopers, dont like to see the plate obscured at all and will use that as "an excuse" (especially with someone looking like I do)...and legally in NY, you cant obscure the plate at all and can be fined (frames DO obscure them some...some more than others)...so, all I did was fix the State's screwup, lol...low budget fix too !...had the silicone, and a plumber I know gave me a foot of strapping...had the bolts in my stock.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 09:48 PM
Concert connoisseur

Garage
ohio plates are the same, I lost one and have a frame on my second one and the frame and the plate is torn. guess the old vulcan is just too fast for them. LOL

1986 vn 750 aka "Huck Farley"
42,000 miles
Rick's stator and rr
Tuxedo stator cover mod
pickup coil mod
dampers replaced
agm m/f battery
Harley sportster exhaust, degoated
Hid conversion
splines lubed
custom "vn750.com" grill cover
NGK Iridium spark plugs

acct to mcct mod https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17917

rekeying locks, https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7309

stator replacement walkthrough, https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11369
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 10:11 PM
Senior Lurker

Hey Wolfie,

Thanks for the BBQ invite, sorry I can't make it.

The problem has happened to me with all of my NY motorcycle plates for the past 20 years. On my Honda, Harley and Kawasakis. The real cause is that you (and me) tightened the two screws that hold the plate on too tight and the plate wants to vibrate a little. When you get a bike new from a dealer they tend to have the plates secured with two little reflector topped screws with springs on their backs. My guess is those springs allow the plate to vibrate just enough not to want to tear.

To fix this on my VN750 I cut a thin piece of steel plate (actually from the bullet proof partition from a retired NYC taxi cab, but that's a different story) and used it as backing for the NY plate. Screwed all four corners nice and tight and of bolted the top two to the bike. It'll take a lot more vibration and wind to get that sucker to tear off now.

-Sloppy

My Flickr Gallery < Link >
Westco MF battery, R/R relocated
Küryakyn LED battery monitor
Kawasaki F&S luggage rack, bag supports & headlight visor
Splines lubed at 700 miles (they were dry from the factory!)
Anodized black SuperBrace fork brace < Link >
Mutazu GA hard saddlebags < Link >
Kawasaki F&S floorboards < Link >
Chrome Küryakyn wide brake and clutch levers < Link >
Clear Alternatives LED tail light board
National Cycle N2220 Windshield
R.I.P. Lance328
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 01:13 AM
..have a vulcan good day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloppyburpfest View Post
Hey Wolfie,

The problem has happened to me with all of my NY motorcycle plates for the past 20 years. On my Honda, Harley and Kawasakis. The real cause is that you (and me) tightened the two screws that hold the plate on too tight and the plate wants to vibrate a little. When you get a bike new from a dealer they tend to have the plates secured with two little reflector topped screws with springs on their backs. My guess is those springs allow the plate to vibrate just enough not to want to tear.

To fix this on my VN750 I cut a thin piece of steel plate (actually from the bullet proof partition from a retired NYC taxi cab, but that's a different story) and used it as backing for the NY plate. Screwed all four corners nice and tight and of bolted the top two to the bike. It'll take a lot more vibration and wind to get that sucker to tear off now.

-Sloppy
I had the same problem with my Florida plate. I balanced the carbs...problem went away.

WilliamTech

'86 VN750 13,700 mi -Stock
-Purchased 2008 w/8800mi
Replaced ALL Cables . Kuryakyn LED Voltmeter
SilverStar Ultra 9003/HB2 H4 Headlamp, Jardine Fwd Controls,
Iridiums DPR7EIX-9 & Wires, Tuxedo Mod, Coil Mod, P/U Sensor Mod, Fork Seals,
Splines Lubed - 11/4/2012 - MF AGM Battery
Additional Flashing LED Brake Light on Trunk
Dampers went out @ 13+K !
After TOC MCCT's..... so amazingly quiet I discovered a rattling heat shield on my stock exhaust !
...have a vulcan good day!
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 04:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Well then, Aug 4th (Sat), a bunch us are getting together for a ride to OCC and more...why dont ya come over and up fer that...Im only 35-40 mins from the Tap (actually less to the Tap)....Im making dinner for all when we end the ride at my house...we'll be starting from Greenwood Lake between 9-10am...check my OCC ride part deux thread...

Last edited by Wolfie; 07-28-2012 at 04:29 PM.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 04:41 PM

remember the old honeycomb license plates? they were sturdier.

01 750 with 11,000
-AKA VULCANSTEIN
complete engine rebuild
splines lubed
relay mod
iridium plugs
AGM battery
pick up mod
Pirelli MT 66 tires
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 05:03 PM Thread Starter

Never seen them...my earliest bike plate was from 1975...

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 07:34 PM
Banned

When I was on my way to port Dove, I passed a MC plate in the middle of the road. Except this one was still attached to the bracket! Probably rattled itself loose off a hardly!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement