Central PA "Group" Sline Lube? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Northeast Region CT, DE, ME, MA, MD, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, VT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 08:34 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Central PA "Group" Sline Lube?

I'm ready to do my spline lube as soon at the weather is a little more consistant. This will be my 1st time doing this. I got the Honda Molly and Socket. Anyone interested in joining me? Get getting some feelers out there.

"Show me a man who makes no mistakes, and I'll show you a man who doesn't do things." Theodore Roosevelt."

2007 Victory Kingpin
Current projects - 1986 VN750 & 1988 EL250
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 03:32 PM

I'd love to join ya but I'm afraid I'm a little too East for a Central PA meet. Good luck though, I hope you get a couple takers...
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 05:03 AM

How long are you willing to wait? I was planning to ride down to the Harrisburg/ Fort Indian Town Gap area sometime next month. I could stop by and help out if you needed.

1994 Kawasaki Vulcan 750 named Jinba Ittai (Japanese for "Horse and rider in perfect harmony").
Jardine Pipes
Splines Lubricated
Painted Instrument Bezels
Headlight Visor
Chrome engine guard
Leather Fork Bag (contents: Pressure gauge, tools, and a Book of Psalms)
Yuaso MF AGM Motocross battery
Kenda Kruz Front tire
Duro Boulevard rear tire

"Buy the ticket, take the ride."
-Hunter S. Thompson

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 06:43 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by VulcRider24 View Post
How long are you willing to wait? I was planning to ride down to the Harrisburg/ Fort Indian Town Gap area sometime next month. I could stop by and help out if you needed.
Looks like it will probably be a few weeks yet, so let me know when you plan on comming over this way and maybe we could meet up. Thanks!

"Show me a man who makes no mistakes, and I'll show you a man who doesn't do things." Theodore Roosevelt."

2007 Victory Kingpin
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010, 09:49 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by VulcRider24 View Post
Hey VulcRider,
Looks like the weather is breaking, just let me know. I'm ready anytime so long as I'm not working.

2007 Victory Kingpin
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-29-2010, 11:08 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by shark88 View Post
I'm ready to do my spline lube as soon at the weather is a little more consistant. This will be my 1st time doing this. I got the Honda Molly and Socket. Anyone interested in joining me? Get getting some feelers out there.
You may need a 12 inch adjustable wrench to hold the nut on other side. Just a heads up if you don`t have one that large. I need to do the spline lube too, but I guess I`m on my own, way out here in Alberta.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-30-2010, 09:41 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

I've always just used a 3/8ths socket wrench on the right side with a 17mm socket (I think) to hold it with the right hand while I use the 1/2" socket wrench and 27mm socket on the left (with a pipe over the handle for leverage). I orient the right wrench so it is pointing out the rear of the bike and I can hold it with the right hand with downward pressure, while I orient the left wrench and pipe pointing out the same direction but as low as I can get it so I can pull up on it to break it loose. Using this right-down, left-up procedure I've never had to worry about the bike launching forward on me, and of course I've tied the bike's center stand to the front forks for some stability. And, it has been easy to loosen the 27mm nut from it's 80 ft/lbs of torque using this method. I do the same in the opposite direction when I torque the 27 back to 80 ft/lbs with my 1/2" torque wrench/ratchet. Hope this helps!

Fergy
Kyle, TX VN750.com member #707 VROC#19556
2002 VN1500 Classic
Spline Lube Procedure, with photos, R/R Relocation and Coil Mod
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
Electrical Fault Finding Flowchart
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-30-2010, 11:46 PM

Hopefully I'll be down this month, unfortunately my bike is out of commission for a little because of the need of inspection which I can't pass until my new front tire comes in and my need of renewed insurance. I'd love to help you but if you want to get on with it then by all means go ahead. I didn't have ANY problems on my '94, just follow Fergy's instructions to the word and you'll be fine.

1994 Kawasaki Vulcan 750 named Jinba Ittai (Japanese for "Horse and rider in perfect harmony").
Jardine Pipes
Splines Lubricated
Painted Instrument Bezels
Headlight Visor
Chrome engine guard
Leather Fork Bag (contents: Pressure gauge, tools, and a Book of Psalms)
Yuaso MF AGM Motocross battery
Kenda Kruz Front tire
Duro Boulevard rear tire

"Buy the ticket, take the ride."
-Hunter S. Thompson
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Update, I just ordered my new Metzler 880's from rockymountainatvmc.com and with the discount code from another thread, I'm getting them shipped for $215.08. Ordered the 110/90 Front and the 170/80 rear. Hopefully I will get them in the next week or so, then when I pull the rear to do the spline lube I'll get the new tire installed at the same time. I'll post again when the tires get here and I plan on pulling the rear, that way if anyone wants to come over and join in..............you're more than welcome.

2007 Victory Kingpin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement