Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

Running Sweet Now!

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Scoop 
#1 · (Edited)
Well I think I am ALMOST there with getting this bike to run really well! I have been doing a lot of things to get it to start easy and run well. Here's most of the stuff I've done -

Ear shave with pod filters
Remove air box (marbled by PO)
Re-jetted carbs
Iridium plugs
New high performance coils
New plug wires
New 2 into 1 exhaust with 12 inch glasspack (PO had de-goated already)
New MF battery
Liberal use of SeaFoam
Splines lubed
Oil changed/new filter/cleaned screen
Coolant changed

With each upgrade/maintenance item it seemed to run a little better, but with all that I still had a dead spot in the throttle that was driving me crazy! I've been following most of the other posts on ear shave, carb adjustment, electrical probs, etc., to see if I was missing anything. Reading AJ's thread on his ear shave and vent line questions, I rechecked all my vent and vacuum lines. I had vac lines from both carbs T'ed and connected to the gas valve vent. I went ahead and plugged the right carb and ran a single vac line from the left carb. I also readjusted the mixture settings to 2 1/2 turns out on the right (front) carb and 3 turns on the left (rear) carb.

Just test rode it and it's running the best it ever has - since I have owned it anyway! It now has a very very slight spot in the throttle where it seems to run a little rough, but it's almost not noticable. I think maybe some more tweaking of the mixture might just get it done. It was cold and getting dark, so I didn't try to really fine tune it. Maybe next weekend.

BTW it now starts first crank. Full choke, twist the throttle once, let off the throttle, hit the starter and it starts right up even after sitting a week.

I appreciate the knowledge and experience I get from this site. Thanks.

See less See more
#2 ·
Hey Scoop what did you use for coils and plugs???

#6 ·
Nice sound scoop! I've always liked the two into one sound. I use 18" glass packs clamped to my drilled goat. It's a mellower rumble and the pipes extend past the rear wheel - easier on the ears. I had Cobra's on the bike but they were too loud for trips and for some reason, they made me want to hot dog it too much (red line sounds sooo good with cobras).

What width pipe wrap did you use? I'd like to do mine in black with black pipes.

Nice job!

DT

#7 ·
Thanks. I am pretty happy with the sound. I'll try to post a better mpg of the sound this weekend and some better detail pics. I used 1 inch width wrap and one 50 foot roll just barely did both sides. Be careful, because I found out the hard way(!), power washing will remove the color from the wrap. Mine is now discolored from dark gray to light gray in spots. Oglejust used 2 inch wide wrap so either should work. 1 inch probably goes around tighter curves better.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.