Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

Tired of being the kite

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  hyperbuzzin 
#1 ·
I love riding in the spring. However, with temperatures in the 40s and running around 65mph, it is veryyyyyyyyyyyyyy cold and wind turns my body into a kite. Thank goodness rear passenger seat and handlebar grips keep me from flying off. So here is my question, I saw this cheap windshield on ebay and wonder if it will be good enough to use. Here is the link to ebay if u can look it up for meee and give advise.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Kawasaki-Vulcan...ryZ35590QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Kawasaki Vulcan VN 500 750 800 900 1500 1600 WINDSHIELD

#2 ·
Tell ya what Jack, I've looked at those myself for a cold weather screen. I'd love to see how it looks on our bikes. A couple of other people have asked about those, I believe without a final answer. There is alot of opinions as to what a good screen is and pretty much all can agree... it's up to you desired level of comfort. My self throughout the year I currently use a "flyscreen" which I love in the summer. The anoumt of chest blast diverted is good for me. But does "Nothing" for protection against the cold. I guess you could say "Size does matter" lol, have a good one!
:beerchug:

#3 ·
It's a similar to my V-Force ('cept mine has cool Vulcan wings etched on it). It will divert some of the wind and bugs, but if you want more protection from cold wind you will need a wider shield with lowers.

#4 ·
I suggest the Memphis slims with lowers the fats seem a bit much for our frame.

Im 6'4 and it gives plenty of protection:)

#5 ·
Thanks for the input. Now, where do I get those Memphis slims with lowers, how much do they cost, can a novice with no mechanical skills at all (except to know the difference between a hammer and a shovel) be able to install without much trouble? The cold is bothersome with windchill factors but more importantly, I don't like the kite effect on my body.

#6 ·
I would also like to thank all those who gave responses so quickly. I enjoy reading forum threads but hesitate to respond simply because I am a duck out of the water with these motorcycles. Now if u have any administration problems ,, give me a holler.

#7 ·
We're all pretty darn friendly here... plese jump in as much as you want! Just because some have alot of posts doesn't meen we're so far out of the water our selves. Yeah me.

#9 ·
Not a bad looking shield; oughta be fine in the summer, but not worth a s*** in winter. For that, you need something like the Memphis Slim (or Fats; they work fine on our frames) with lowers, or the Plexi II or III. The Plexi III (National Cycle?) has better lowers than the II. I had a Slipstreamer Hellfire before I got the Tour Pack fairing, and it was good; however, the Slipstreamer Enterprise uses the same mounting hardware as the Hellfire, and gives much better coverage for winter.

Jim

#10 ·
I think I will have to agree with J.D. I ride all year and prefer a smaller shield in the warm weather just enough to deflect some of the bugs, but in the winter like something a little more substantial. I really don't know what shield I have on my Vulcan but believe it to be wider than the one shown on your link. When the temps drop the limiting factor for me is my hands and a wider shield deflects a little more wind from my hands. I have a pair of Tourmaster winter elites that I can use down into the 20's with my Vulcan. Not sure that I could do that with a skinnier shield. I hope this helps. I noticed when I checked out the shield on ebay that it was gone. Did you get it? If so, how do you like it?

#11 ·
One thing to remember about a big shield, it will also make a bigger target for wind.
With my Plexy III on, I get an occational twitch of the steering when hit by a good sized gust of wind.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.