Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

Correct angle of brake reservoir?

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  jonathanrsr 
#1 ·
Compared to my son's VN 500 brake reservoir, which is level when his bike is upright, I noticed that mine is canted slightly upward- maybe 25 degrees? - so that when I check the brake fluid level through the sight glass, it appears low. When I unscrew the reservoir top, it cannot be fully filled because of the angle (the fluid overflows the edge). Is the reservoir supposed to be angled, or should it be level? I also realize that if I level it, it will cause the brake lever to be positioned lower. Thank you in advance!

#2 ·
As far as i can tell you need to get the top as level as you can. Since its a sealed system onec you have filled the reservoir with the apporpriate amount of fluid you will be good to go.

#3 ·
You only need to level the reservoir if you are filling it. To check the level you usualy get a good reading by turning the bars full left. (Make sure you cover your tank and fender as brake fluid eats paint)
You can loosen/retighten the mounting bolts a bit to level it more, but once done, you can adjust it at any angle you feel comfortable with.

KM

#4 ·
Lurch, thank you for your reply.
KM - thank you also. I'm guessing the PO had a shorter grip, and that the reservoir was canted to give easier access to the brake lever. I leveled it off more this evening, and filled the reservoir with fluid "to the edge". And with the new position, the top of my hand is still horizontal, and no problem reaching the lever with my fingers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.