Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums - View Single Post - Ma Kaw's F&S engine guard prevents upshifts on my motor
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-22-2013, 12:22 AM Thread Starter
OlHossCanada
Linkmeister Supreme

Unhappy Ma Kaw's F&S engine guard prevents upshifts on my motor

When I got back to riding last season after missing 4 riding seasons due to an accident, I had to rotate the shift lever up one spline. This was necessary because my ankle is not as flexible as it used to be, and also I now have a 3/4" lift in the sole of my left shoe. Therefore I could not get my toe under the shift lever "pedal" to upshift until I rotated it up one spline.

I finally got the engine guard and highway pegs mounted on the bike, then discovered on the test ride that I could not shift into second gear due to clearance issues with the engine guard. I am curious to know if anyone else has had a similar problem, and what you did to get around it.

I think an extra 1/4" vertical movement is all I need to be able to reliably upshift. I was talking to a Nomad rider yesterday at bikenight who has an acetylene welding torch. Our thoughts are to clamp the shift lever in a vise, heat it red hot down at the bend then pull the lever out a few degrees to open the bend a few degrees. I know this will probably discolor the stainless steel lever and maybe take some strength out of it too. So is this a smart thing to do, or should I find a different method to get the shift clearance I need?

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome