Air Filters - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 01-14-2006, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
Vulcan Verses

Air Filters

Possible Kawasaki Manual Error Kawasaki Manual First Addition, 1984 "Vulcan VN700.750 Motorcycle Service Manual"

Page 2-24 "saturate the sponge filter with SE class SAE 30 oil, squeeze out the excess, then wrap it dry in a clean rag and squeeze it dry as possible" They also show a picture of hands pushing down on the filter in what appears to be a shallow white tub that you would fill with oil.

I did exactly that when I replaced my filters. Ever since then, the bike has run rich, especially at WOT 6,000 RPM's where it would begin to seriously stumble. Since I was fixing a few issues at the time, I never associated the filter with my stumbling problem. I resorted to cutting a little longer holes where the rubber grommet fits into the air cleaner housing to let in more air. That cured the issue, however, it left me somewhat lean at lower RPM's and caused rear- cylinder popping (even with my reed valves disabled). This makes sense now as the bike needs more air at higher RPM's. So here is a warning to anyone who changes or cleans their air filters: - the filters (Kaw Part # 11013-1122) come pre-oiled ! Just put them on. - when you eventually clean your filters, use Simple Green or other non-solvent cleaner, then oil ONLY with foam filter oil. I have "PJ1 Foam Filter Treatment Spray" from the local Kawasaki dealer ($6.95 for a large 18.2 fluid ounces can). It sprays on red so you can see what's been covered. - NEVER use motor oil on your air filter. You may end up restricting air flow and running rich like me. I almost took the carbs off before I found the real problem. Thanks to gYpSy for steering me towards this solution.

I did as the manual suggested. First I cleaned my filters in a solution of warm water and Simple Green. When they were dry I literally soaked 'em in 30W oil (I should have used less) then blotted the excess oil with paper towel and then newspaper. It is key to soak up as much as possible only leaving a very light coat of oil. Now this last part took a long time and was a pain in the ass. My stock bike (only mod is coasters & 2 1/8 turns on mix screws) starts well, runs great great at all rpms and the plugs look good too. Since the oil is pushed down by gravity I flip over the filters (remove, rotate a 1/2 turn, reinstall) every now and then to redistribute the oil. -Bruce Detroit

I read the post on the oiling proplem with the filters. I have not had to clean my new filters yet on my bike and I tossed the old rotten ones. But I have done many such cleanings on my honda products that have basically the same element material, I would clean it in diswashing detergent, strong solution by dribbeling the detergent directly on the filter and running some pre-heated hot watter over it and thorougly kneeding it until i get a nice brown goo. then i rinse it in the really warm watter and repeat until no brown goo. this method doesnt hurt the foam like some solvants may.(manual for honda said to use this method) then place filter inside paper towls and stomp out the water. when thoroughly dry, pour in a handful of regular-not synthetic- 10w-something oil. use of synthetic here may be the trouble. then rub in thouroughly. when done place back in paper towles, new ones of cource, stomp out the oil. then when done you are ready to install the filter. trust me, this method works. beavis

Q: I need new aircleaners for my ears part number is 11013-1122 > but they ask over 20.00 each > > is there a aftermarket replacement?

A: Not any cheaper but arguably a better product that will probably last the life of your bike. You can replace them with K&N Filter #1594. They come two to a box so don't make the mistake of buying two thinking they are only one to a box. don't just shove them into the airbox. You really need to sand or dremel ~1/16" off the apex of the top. You'll see when you buy them. If you just force them into the airbox, you will distort the inner mount and the cover will not fit properly... jm

I used a solvent and my filters dissolved in front of my eyes. I ended up getting new filters, terribly high price at dealerhip, try Ron Ayers. Do NOT oil the filters, they come pre-oiled. When I oiled them a while back as the manual said, I was running way rich since not enough air could get into the engine. If you do not replace the filters, just take them off, knock them against something clean, and lightly spray some oil on them (use filter oil spray from the dealership). It's very thin and is intended for that. Starman

I use the K&N kit. Works well. Do not overoil your filters. Your bike will run rich, and oil can get sucked into the surge tank and make a mess. Folks that have over oiled filters, over filled the crank oil.. end up with a messy air box. I just cleaned mine out. Yuck. Rgds, Greg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread