Hauling - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 01-20-2006, 08:10 AM Thread Starter
Vulcan Verses

Hauling

I just finished hauling my bike home in the back of my Ford Ranger. We pushed the bike up the ramps into the back of the truck. I had to leave the tailgate down, but the bike rode just fine. One thing to be aware of is compressing the front forks. Do not over compress them or you might blow the seals. The people who taught my MSF course transported 6 bikes on a trailer at a time. The men who loaded the bikes told us that the best thing to do was to sit on the bike and tighten the straps down to hold the bike at that point. That will keep the straps tight with pressure against them, yet leave enough room for the forks to respond to bumps in the road.

I used to load my dirt bike into a truck by riding it in..The ramp had thick grooves and was not very wide. I did have spotters on each side just in case. We tried the same thing with a guys Honda 750 on a cheap ramp and found that the rear tire would slip on the ramp...so we pushed in on...not that easy if I remember...but it seemed much safer..Getting it up and on actualy is the easy part if you have some help..(like three extra able bodies)...Getting it back down is a bit harder...We finally decided that sence we had to push it up anyway..we'd go in backwards...that way when we unloaded it the smallest person (me) could ride it down and the others would guide it. The Vulcan is a bit heavy...so I'd make sure you have a few strong arms to help and a ramp that is wide and has a good non-slip surface. Knifemaker

If you aren't going to drive it up, and will be pushing instead, I can not stress enough that the bike should be in 1st gear. This is probably common sense knowledge to most people, but in a very blonde moment (and I'm not even blonde, lol) I was putting my bike up on a pallet to store it for the winter. I had it in neutral, and 1/2 way up the 4" ramp, it started going backwards and I lost control. It ended up toppling over on me (had a nasty bruise, but thank goodness that was all) and it was a royal PIA to get back upright (that 4" made a HUGE difference!)

I own a Toyota Tacoma with a 6 foot bed. I used 3 ratchet straps with no chocks and hauled the bike in the bed from Dallas to San Antonio at I-35 speeds without any problems. One strap on each side of the handle bar right at the lower bend attached to the left and right front corners of the bed. Tightened them down so that the front forks were fairly compressed. Then an additional strap across the seat (with a rag or something for additional padding to protect the seat itself) attached to the left and right rear corners of the bed to prevent the back tire from bouncing around. Tailgate was open but it fit in there fine with the rear tire just past the end of the bed resting on the tailgate. The bike didn't seem to budge at all the whole time.

The guy I bought the bike from had one of those aluminum loading ramps which made loading pretty easy. For unloading, I was able to back up to a fairly high curb and use a few boards for a ramp. The only complaint that I have is that the front wall of the bed pressed (creased a little) against the cab from the force of the front tire ratcheted against it. Rubbed the paint on the cab a little but I was able to pull it back out once the bike was out of the bed and the paint rub wasn't bad enough to worry about. If I were to do it again, I would put something across the front of the bed to more evenly distribute the load. Maybe a board or the ramp if it were mine. May end up buying a ramp for the occasional times that my bike (or someone else's) needs hauling but I wouldn't hesitate to haul it in the bed of the truck again if I needed to. The main draw back is figuring out the loading and unloading. I think the bike would definitely fit in the back of your truck unless your bed is considerably shorter than 6'. The bike measures about 6.5' from where the front tire would meet the front of the bed to where the rear tire makes contact with the ground. Hope that helps. Burke

Back that pickup up to a hill so your loading surface is more level with the pickup bed. I've seen more catastrophes when people try driving the bike up the ramps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread