Front Tire Removal - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 01-19-2006, 10:14 PM Thread Starter

Front Tire Removal

1. Loosen the bolts on one of the calipers and pry it to the side, to spread the brake pads for easy reinserting the disk later. Notice the position of the speedo drive and cable for correct reassembly.

2. Remove the axel nut and lay it outside down, to avoid dirt collection.

3. With the pinch bolt losened, put something like a cinder block topped with a thin board under the starter motor, so the tire is lightly touching the ground.

4. Pull out the axel and catch the spacer on the right side - slide it on the axel and lay them on a clean surface.

5. Remove the loose caliper.

6. Pry the wheel to one side, to spread the brake pads for easy reinserting the disk later.

7. Roll the tire forward, and pull the speedo drive off the left side, and lay it on a piece of paper to avoid dirt collection.

8. When the disk clears the pads, slide the bottom of the wheel to the side to make it easier to clear the fender. You still may have to lift the front of the bike to get the wheel out.

9. Loosley reattach the lose caliper.

10. While things are exposed, you may want to clean and grease the speedo drive and the drive tang located in the wheel, and remove and clean and lube the cable and housing.

11. On reassembly, after removing the loose caliper, and getting the disk inserted into the caliper, you may want to add more spacer under the starter, since the new tire will be taller than the old one, and raising the axel hole on the fork tube will make getting the axel back in easier. P.S. Replacing the front tire is ususally cleaner than the rear - some consolation!

Quote:
Yes, Excellent steps. Jill, it is tons easier than rear wheel. Just remember to pay attention (as indicated in the steps) to how your speed cable is routed and the position of the connection. I find digital camera handy for this, until I put the camera down and can't remember where I put it for safe keeping.. LOL. And it was also cheaper at my shop to have them mount the tire if I brought the wheel into them rather than having them take it off. Make sure you ask them to balance it, otherwise they might not. It cost me around $45 for two tires I believe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread