Changing Fork Oil - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

Changing Fork Oil

See Fork Oil

Try Ron Ayers to find fork oil

I did NOT remove the wheel when I did mine last year. I used an auto jack w/ a pc of 1x6 as a platform for the engine case. I raised the bike so that the front wheel came off the ground completely (letting the forks completely expand) , then let the oil drain for a while while I cleaned the plugs. I then had an able-bodied assistant raise and lower the jack completely a few times to 'pump' any residual oil out while I held the bars just in case. I took out 265ml of oil out this way, and put back 275ml along w/ the new Progressives. No sweat...except that damn circlip on the fork spring retainer...what a PITA....

You're right. I have changed my oil and replaced the springs (to Progressives) without removing the wheel. Just used a ratcheting tie- down through the wheel and around the bars to bring the wheel up, compressing the unsprung forks so I could measure to fill them. Cut the job at least in half.

I used a furniture clamp to depress the top plug ... bottom of the clamp hooked on the lower fork clamp. Allowed me to do the job solo. It helps a bit to bend the very end of that small screwdriver.

Mechmo, as usual, is confused about the fork oil change. Here is what he has in the Vulcan Verses: "I have changed my oil and replaced the springs (to Progressives) without removing the wheel. Just used a ratcheting tie- down through the wheel and around the bars to bring the wheel up, compressing the unsprung forks so I could measure to fill them. Cut the job at least in half. " Two questions:

1. To drain the fork oil, do you remove the drain bolt on the side of the fork (this would make sense to Mechmo), or the allen bolt (which apparently requires an impact wrench) on the bottom/underside of the fork?

2. Why does the front wheel need to come up or the forks need to be compressed to measure the oil? One the old oil is drained, can't you just measure the new oil in a measuring cup, and then pour it in to the fork?

Quote:
Yeah, it's the small hex bolts near the bottom. I raised the wheel (compressing the forks) to Measure the distance between the fork top and the fork oil level. It's just a more precise way to get the level you want .... there's probably X amount of old oil left in there after draining, plus I didn't have total confidence in the amount specified to put in (remember the 4 qt motor oil? <g>). I have a few pics in this folder that may be of some small help ..
If that doesn't work, the link is listed in grambo photos here, and in the links directory as well. grambo
Quote:
The allen bolt on the fork tube is to hold all the internal stuff together not to drain the fluid. Also, that bolt can be difficult to get out, be careful if you end up removing it. Use the exact size hardened allen tool attached to an impact wrench. I had to get out the torch for mine. GC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread