Toolbox - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 01-19-2006, 10:22 PM Thread Starter

Toolbox

Quote:
Q: accidentally leaned on the rear tool compartment door and it broke off. Wonder how much it will cost to replace?
A:You might be able to fix it yourself. Go to a hardware store like Home Depot, Lowe's or whatever you have in that area. Look for piano wire hinges. They do come in various sizes and lengths. They are easy to cut down to the length needed. If you don't want screws showing from the outside, try using industrial type glue, Liquid Nails, Gorilla Glue, silicone adhesive, anything in that line. I'm not sure of the price of the hinges but I know it has to be cheaper than a new box.

You would have to use extra washers or something under the hinge to get it to the level of the edge..sorry...forgot about that...don't have my box anymore to look at...lol A strip of plastic/wood could be glued there (on the inside) to allow the hinge to be flat with the broken edge. just drill the holes through that also to mount. Knifemaker

Bob, the part number is 32098-1057, and www.ronayers.com has it for $29.24 (+ $7 shipping) if you want the OEM replacement

If you do purchase a new one, before you install it, take a piece of duct tape and apply it to the inside of the cover. This will prevent the hinge from breaking and if it does, you will not loose your door and the expensive lock. The duct tape thing works great on older hinges too. Saved my lock twice in the past 8 years... Evan Breyn ~ The Bulldog

Gypsy has a pic on her site where she took a drill and drilled about 4 holes on each portion of the toolbox and used zip ties to hold it together. As long as you do not get them too close to the end to cause the plastic to crack your ok. She did this process, I believe after the box had snapped.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread