Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

cooling liquid from overflow tank gushing

8K views 29 replies 10 participants last post by  VN750Rider/Jerry 
#1 ·
oh my god ive only had bad luck with this bike (vn700)
had it repaired last week for bad rpms etc.
and in past ive had problems with cooling liquid.
but what happened today was awefull.
took her for a trip/cruise and the engine was heating up but no red zone but getting close.
stopped for traffic and felt something hot on my left leg!!!!
and i saw the cooling gushing/spraying on pressure out the side of the overflow tank!
it completely cracked the side (were you can see the line *empty/full)
and it burnt my leg.
ill upload a film on youtube were you can see were.
shocked!!! reserve tank is broken the dealer has really sold me a defective bike.
i have a talk planned with them tomorrow.
about every problem ive had with this and this is also now on the list.
gutted!

#2 ·
I am betting it was slightly low on coolant in the radiator, and when the coolant got hot it boiled, letting off steam into the coolant tank, which in turn broke due to age/being brittle.

Have it replaced, the coolant levels checked, and then have them run / idle the bike to the temp than the fan kicks on, and see if it does it again.

Also, when you get the bike back, double check all fluid levels yourself. I don't trust dealerships really... (too many bikes passing through to care).

#4 ·
Did you fill it at the radiator, or the overflow bottle?

I'd have them check/replace the radiator cap if you filled it up @ the radiator.

#6 ·
Left leg? Overflow task is on the right side. There is a coolant house on the left side (rear cylinder) that could have failedif it was your left leg.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#9 ·
Have them check the return hose. If that is cracked or broken it can result in air being sucked back in the system, resulting in the boiling coolant and the steam shooting out. Still leaning towards a bad radiator cap possibly.

That poor VN. :( I'm hoping for a simple fix! :)

#10 ·
why could it be radiatorcap then?
just for future reference sake how do i prperly fill the right amount of cooling fluid?
is it just the radiator side that i fill or also the overflow tank?
and so you know my fan doesnt work at all the relay is broken it needs bypassing.
it never worked told the dealer that the only thing they said ( well it is an old bike)
infuriating answer btw!!!!

#13 ·
Fill at the reserve unless it's empty and the coolant is low in the radiator.

Slimvulcanrider has plans to help you bypass the relay for your fan.

Dealers aren't anyone's best friend. They are scum and will always be scum.

#16 ·
Yea, it should not be boiling. That means it got really hot, so either the thermostat did not open, return hose let air in the system, or the cap failed in some way.

#24 ·
I second this.

#23 ·
well crap...
got the bike back the thermostat was broken bike runs cool.
but within 5 minutes of picking the bike up i thought i will fill her up with gas.
when starting the bike pulling away seems wrong.
and at traffic light i couldnt pull away normal it stallen and stuttered prefusely.
restarted and revved high so i could get away.
but low revs its stuttering and pulling away is not good.
any ideas?

#26 ·
Yep, easiest way to tell is if you hear a 'hiss' when the gas cap opens.

#27 ·
okay sounds like a good try to see if this could be it (poogs)
but note that i filled the tank up full! (can this also happen with full tank?)
so when i picked up the bike did not have this problem it only happened when i tanked her up.

im so gratefull for you guys on this forum (learned so much)

#28 · (Edited)
okay sounds like a good try to see if this could be it (poogs)
but note that i filled the tank up full! (can this also happen with full tank?)
so when i picked up the bike did not have this problem it only happened when i tanked her up.

im so gratefull for you guys on this forum (learned so much)
Phantom Out Of gas is usually on 3/4 to full tank of gas, first noticed on a completely full tank that was just filled.

Phantom Out Of Gas Syndrome Diagnosed and how to fix prevent it

#30 ·
First of all, is it a CA bike ( I don't even know if they made CA bikes that far back) remove the seat and look to see if there are one or 2 hoses connected to the back of the tank. If there are 2, disconnect them both and plug them. 2 Hoses mean a CA bike. My '02 is/was a CA bike, and when filling the tank completely full, gas would run through one of those hoses, and into a charcoal canister, mounted in front of the swingarm. Then when started (it would be hard to start) it would run really rich and misfire badly. The dealer told me to only fill the tank 3/4 full. To hell with that. My solution was to remove the entire evap system, plug all the holes and fittings, and while I was at it, I also removed the complete air injection system. Bike ran 100% better and still does. If it has anything to do with emissions, you can bet it will mess up the way the bike runs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.