Limits of Electrical System - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
Vulcan Verses

Limits of Electrical System

Quote:
Q: Can you add watts this way? I know with AC power we look at how many amps are on a circuit to determine if we're drawing too much.
Anyone know what our baseline is before accessories or replacements? What does the stock headlight, tailight, etc., draw? (what am I saying? Of course, someone knows! and will post it shortly. <G>) knifemaker1954
A: [email protected]> wrote: I think the upper limit is around 70 watts total...so add up what you are planning to add and if it looks like you are going to get close to that or go a bit over..I'd re-think what other stuff can be brought down.

A: Same in DC ... divide your watts by 14 (nominal 12) and you have amps. Anyway, with a stock R/R and Stator, we do have about 70 watts to go at cruising speed. I read a nine paragraph writeup some time ago and understood it and agreed with it, etc. and only remember that number. In any case, I know Knifemaker is correct. When I put on my driving lights, I had already changed tail light to LED, just to give a little margin at idle. grambo

A: From: "Phil" <[email protected]> Subject: Re: Charging system question-Load is good? I = Current (amperage) V = Voltage R = Resistance (Load) P = Watts (Power) I = E/R E = IR R = E/I P = EI P = I(squared)R P = E(squared)/R Think of a water hose and water pressure - Voltage is the water pressure, current is the amount of flow, and the hose is the resistance to that flow/pressure. Watts or Power is the result or work that comes from the combination of voltage, current and resistance. If a lamp was rated for 70 watts and was powerd by a 12 volt dc source the required current to produce the full power rating would be... 5.83 amps. AC power is measured in VA (VoltAmps) and I won't even go there. Well so much for lunch, back to work. Ugh! Stargazer

As some of you may recall, I've been modifying my '02 to be a poor man's Gold Wing and in the process have come to be in need of more raw, gut busting amperage. The extra driving lights, extra brake and turn signal lights, and a 200 watt stereo system amplifier (with 4 Sony Xplod speakers) requires me to very closely monitor my amperage usage with my installed SunPro voltmeter. The stock stator will realistically put out about 21 amps, maybe up to 24 amps at 8000 rpm when the moon is aligned with Venus. I've been in contact with Electrexusa recently and they tell me the current Electrexusa G-05 will put out about 26 amps, which is about 25% over stock. The original RR can handle the stock output, and "maybe" the increased output of the G-05. They are making a new model called DeltaForce. This new unit will put out 30-33A. They are still in pre-production and it "might" be available sometime in August. You will have to replace the stock RR with their new model at the same time as the stock unit will burn up with the increased amperage. Thanks to this group, I have enough information and shared previous people's lessons learned to confidently do this replacement job. I still have an extended factory warranty until 2006 so I don't know if I'm going to wait it out or say what the heck and do it. I will post pictures of my beast at some point to show what you can do with parts from Radio Shack, PepBoys, HomeDepot, and WalMart. I hope this helps some of you out there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread