Yuasa vs. Westco Batteries - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 01-14-2006, 08:18 PM Thread Starter

Yuasa vs. Westco Batteries

Actually both batteries are the SAME. The difference is that Westco fills the battery with electrolyte and charges it before shipping it to you or the dealer. Yuasa has you do it for them. They both use the exact same technology. The terms used differ slightly but in all ways, the same technology. Westco says AGM or Absorbed Gas Mat technology whereas Yuasa says they use advanced gas recombinant technology. It's the same thing folks. It's all a copyright thing. If both used the exact same terms, one would be paying royalties to the other. Here's something else. Westco uses the term "valve-regulated design" when describing their battery. Guess What? Yuasa says the EXACT SAME THING. Let me quote from Yuasa: "Yuasa's innovative sealed VRLA (Valve Regulated Lead Acid) batteries are a new generation made possible by advanced gas recombinant technology. These include the YT and YI series batteries. We refer to them as "sealed VRLA batteries" here." The reason the Yuasa is cheaper? They don't have to pay someone to fill and charge the battery before shipping it out. Dan Morgan

Ken Eng :
WestCo Both the Westco and Yuasa MF batteries are of the AGM technology. Yuasa has a policy of not shipping theirs with the acid in them. After adding the acid and sealing it up it is the same as the Westco unit. With an AGM battery the acid is absorbed into plates and separators inside the battery. Therefore there is no liquid inside the battery case to leak out.

Quote:
From the Westco site: These sealed batteries are built to perform. Multiple features like Absorbed Glass Mat technology showcase a completely sealed and maintenance-free battery that provides the power needed for motorcycles.

Features Maintenance-free Sealed design No liquid Zero corrosion Absorbed glass mat technology Resists vibration damage. Very low self-discharge rate Higher cold cranking amps than stock wet batteries Extra heavy duty terminal design
Quote:
From the Yuasa site: These sealed batteries are built to perform. Multiple features like Absorbed Glass Mat technology showcase a completely sealed and maintenance-free battery that provides the power needed for motorcycles.

Features Maintenance-free Sealed design No liquid Zero corrosion Absorbed glass mat technology Resists vibration damage. Very low self-discharge rate Higher cold cranking amps than stock wet batteries Extra heavy duty terminal design The Maintenance Free Battery Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) Technology is an advanced battery design used in Yuasa's Maintenance Free Batteries that eliminates water loss. Once it's filled with acid the battery is permanently sealed - so you'll never need to fill it with water or check the acid level. Long Life Because of its lead calcium design, the AGM battery will hold its specific gravity more than three times longer than conventional lead antimony types. This means much longer periods between charges when the battery is used in a standby mode, like winter storage. And to remain factory-fresh the AGM battery is shipped dry along with its own pack of high-gravity acid that's added at the time of installation. Sealed, Non-spillable Once filled with acid from its special packs, the AGM battery is virtually maintenance free. It's totally sealed and all of the acid is absorbed in the special plates and separators, so there is no need to worry about acid leaks on valuable vehicle parts and accessories.
My bike was starting like the battery was dying. I added a extra ground wire from the battery to the top air filter mounting cap screw. It solved the problem. Mike '89 vn 750

Quote:
Q I just received the Yuasa YTX14AHL-BS battery (from and have already filled it with the electrolyte. The label on it says to initial charge it at 1.2 Amps for several hours. My battery charger/tender is only rated at 1 Amp. Can I initial charge it with my charger/tender?
A: Yes, that's fine. The amp rate is just a reference to give you a good idea about time and current. If you have any other questions, please let me know.
It will just take somewhat longer. The voltage rating is what is important when talking about full charge.
I charged my "Y" battery with a .5amp. I wasn't in a hurry. A slower charge is better for the battery than a fast one.

yesterday, while surfing the net looking at maintenance free battery prices I came across www.batteryStuff.com. I was all set to buy the westco from them when I noticed in small print the following statement.. "We may substitute battery brands (except SVR) in order to expedite orders in a timely manner. The 4 brand names we may use are GS, WestCo, Universal and Yuasa; all are of comparable performance, quality and warranty." After reading this statement I noticed the westco sells for $65, but the universal sells for $55. if they are compatible, with the same technology and warranty, why would the price be different? Anyway, I took a chance and ordered a Universal battery, (westco clone). has anyone else purchased one. it seems to have the same specs as the westco. I was just curious, sorry this is so long.

Optima battery
Per a conversation with the Optima battery customer service lady, Erica, Optima batteries do not have motorcycle applications. Preach
My next door neighbor mentioned and recommended the Optima battery that is also a maintenance free battery. On the Optima website (http://www.optimabatteries.com), they talk about the battery and how unique it is as well as the applications. They do not mention motorcycle use. Has anyone here ever hear of this brand and ever used one? I am going to email them to find out if they have batteries for our bikes.
On one of the motorcycle shows, I believe it was Corbin's Ride On, they talked about them. They claim to be even a better option to the typical battery due to the closeness of the plates and the fabric between them. They cut one in two on the show. It looked good. I am thinking about getting one this week when I get one for my bike. They claim an adverage life of ten years compared to the two to five years for more typical batteries.
Reading what I could on their website, this battery is really no different from the Westco or Yuasa AGM MF batteries. The main difference is the plate design. It is still a AGM battery. From what I see there, they do not make this for motorcycle applications.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread