Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

Frozen Outer Stator Cover Bolts

2K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  brofun 
#1 ·
Am I the only one that can't get the outer cover off of the stator cover? The ()&@$#%_ phillips head screws - true to form - are absolutely frozen in place. I've splooted 'em with PB Blaster, backed that up with acetone, put a screwdriver in the slots and tapped them with a hammer...no movement at all, even with an electric drill on low power (high torque). The flame thrower (propane torch) will be next, but is there a secret to these that I'm missing? Thanks in advance!

#5 ·
if you don't have an impact, try using a big screwdriver and use both hands on it and turn with all your might while a (trusted friend) hits the end with the hammer.....you might want to have another hammer handy in case the friend misses lol once you get them out I would definitly use hex bolts....good luck

#6 ·
wait duhhhh I'm tired....take a vise grip and put it on the screw driver....push in on the screw driver and turn the visegrips walla its off

#7 ·
An impact driver is a valuable tool--select a bit that fits correctly and hit. Wouldn't work on a bike without one. $15-$25 at most auto stores. You can probably find a cheap one @ harbor frieght.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93481
Like this but in 3/8" drive. And this is the only one HF stocks. JC Whitney will have them as should pep boys and checker auto.

#8 ·
Huh. I guess I don't have to endanger my screwdrivers after all! Thanks, folks. Michael ...I'm not understanding the vise grip description you offered.?? Perhaps I should JB Weld the vise grip to one of the screws, then turn? :doh: Seriously, though, can you explain again? Thank you!!

#9 ·
Cindy, take your vise grips and clamp them firmly to the screw driver (in a 90 degree angle) this will act like a handle and as you push in on the screw driver hard, you can turn the visegrips with your other hand......just be sure the screw driver you use fits into the screw firmly. I've used that method many times before......everytime I say "dam I need an impact driver" but like everyone else has said...an impact driver is a valuable tool to have

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.