Your honest opion on Kawasaki Vulcan 750 - Page 2 - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
New Member Introductions First Post?
Make your big introduction here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-18-2007, 04:49 PM
Rider on the Storm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog485 View Post
Aftermarket parts... Spare parts are just that - spare parts.

Thanks!

But please explain one more thing: why/how did the VN 750 run afoul of changing EPA regulations?

EZC

Last edited by EasyRector; 11-18-2007 at 04:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-18-2007, 06:40 PM
Drive less, ride more...

EasyRector, you'll find that, in the cruiser world, the aftermarket parts folks generally don't cater to bikes under 800cc, because with 800cc and above, that's where there's more money.

There are exceptions to this, however. Honda's 600cc Shadow VLX seems to do ok. But generally, the bikes that get treated right in the cruiser aftermarket world are 800-900cc and up. Again, more $$$$$.

'05 VN750

For other bike pix & mods, go to:
http://s1203.photobucket.com/albums/...k/VN750%20pix/
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 10:06 PM

Now that I have taken the 750 for a longer run..this is one freakin' great bike!
Excelent shifting and brakes, great acceleration, doesn't fell at all intimidated on the highway, cruising @ 80mph no problem, solid, etc.
Only one complaint....who thought of the mirror placement!?! I think you need shoulders about 20" wide to make them usable. Those wil change with the new bars.

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 10:12 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

The EPA tightened up the emissions requirements and Kaw would have had to make major mods in the intake (fuel injection) and exhaust system (catalytic converters or similar). Since they were going to roll out the 900 anyway, it was cheaper to discontinue the 750 and market the 900 as the mid size flagship. Time will tell if this was a wise decision.

Jim W
93 VN 750 "Ursula"
Moved R/R 08Sep06
R/R rewire 17Feb07
New R/R, Installed 14Jun08
New Stator installed 10 Jun08
Maintenance Free Battery 12Jan08
21480 Miles
VROC #8542
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 10:31 PM
Growling at the World...

Send a message via Yahoo to bulldog485
Quote:
Originally Posted by VulcanRev View Post
Now that I have taken the 750 for a longer run..this is one freakin' great bike!
Excelent shifting and brakes, great acceleration, doesn't fell at all intimidated on the highway, cruising @ 80mph no problem, solid, etc.
Only one complaint....who thought of the mirror placement!?! I think you need shoulders about 20" wide to make them usable. Those wil change with the new bars.
I put mirrors from the Kawasaki Mean Streak 1500 on my VN750. They are lower and have longer stems then the VN1500/800 Classic mirrors and take care of that problem quite nicely...

Evan Breyn ~ The Bulldog
http://www.bulldogsbike.com
2006 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic FLHTCUI ~ The Big Black Bitch ~ 55,000 miles.
2002 Kawasaki Nomad 1500 ~ The Red Dog ~ Traded in at 22,000 miles of smiles (purchased new 10/05 / Traded in 6/12).
1990 Kawasaki Vulcan 750 ~ Black Betty ~ 34,999.7 miles
VROC ~v~ 485
McHenry County Road Pirates
Chicagoland, IL
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 12:55 PM

Thumbs up Love it

Hi all, Just want to say that this is my second time around biking, When i was younger did not appreciate it as much as i do now, I suppose its because it was the only transport i had and used it in all weather without the right gear. Now though mortgage paid off and a little older and the gear to go, I wish I had never stopped "25 years gap". Anyway i bought a 95 vn750 and although it pops a bit I cant think of a nicer bike that i have ever had. However The reason I got onto this site was the problem of noise in the engine "not the popping". I read in the forum that someone else suffers with it "sound like the ball bearing when shaking a can of spray paint". Reading on about it its seems these bikes are naturally noisy so "what the hell". Its a great bike and if the engine blows up i will buy another...
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 08:49 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

The ball bearing in the spray paint can may just be an out of adjustment cam chain tensioner. Check out the verses for the cure for this. The initial fix is not too difficult. If the "Grambo" trick doesn't work, there are some other steps you can take to quiet the noise down.
The popping is normal for our bikes as long as the EPA crap is still hooked up. Marbleing or coasters are the usual cure for this problem. Again, check the verses.
Enjoy the 750. I sure do like mine.

Jim W
93 VN 750 "Ursula"
Moved R/R 08Sep06
R/R rewire 17Feb07
New R/R, Installed 14Jun08
New Stator installed 10 Jun08
Maintenance Free Battery 12Jan08
21480 Miles
VROC #8542
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 05:15 AM

I love my 750. It's my first bike, I looked at alot of them before I bought it. I borrowed an old KZ440 from a friend and rode it around for a month to decide if I really wanted a bike. I almost bought a brand new VN900 Custom, but the night before I went to go back to the dealership, the same friend who loaned me the 440 had found a 2000 750 and I went and looked at it and bought it instead of the 900 Custom. I know I made the right choice. I love the way it looks, handles and how quick it is. Having a machine shop, I could care less about aftermarket support. This bike rocks!! I had also looked at harleys too as a few of my buddies have them and laughed at my vulcan. Until we went on a ride together and their "88" ci fatboys couldn't pull away from me. I couldn't imagine now having another bike. I love mine.
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 06:52 PM

Size..right
weight.....enough
features...alot
looks...rare
power..on the sweet spot.
price...has no match.
aganist the 750 shadow is faster, nimbler, cheaper, taller,with gas gauge, temp gauge, tachometer and with shaft drive.
conclusion, looks appart, it kicks the shadow on the buns.
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-01-2007, 08:08 PM

Greetings. I'm a re-entry rider, having been away from it for about 35 years. I'm not a small guy (5-11, 280). When I restarted, I remembered from my old days that everyone rode a 4-stroke thumper (BSA, Ducati) or 2-stroke single (Yamaha 250), and those worked great...so when I came back, I thought I'd start there with a Suzuki Savage 650...a single cylinder thumpmeister. Now that is one very nice bike...but with me on it, it couldn't get out of its own way and top end was about 65 downhill with a tailwind.

I knew I needed something a little more substantial, but was not ready for something huge with a big old motor in it. There was an -05 VN750 at the dealer and I liked the size and comfort, so I bought it. Best decision I ever made...

I've ridden that motor all over the western slope of the Sierra and up and down the north central valley of California. The bike handles very well, it gets good fuel mileage, it's pretty stable on the freeway and I have no trouble wicking it up to 80 (I don't care to go faster than that, but the bike clearly will). 80 mph on my bike is right around 5000 rpm, and there's a lot of tach left after that...the motor is redlined at 8500, but I've never felt the need to rev it that high. There's lots of low end grunt, but the engine also revs freely.

I find that my VN750 is very comfortable, at least for me. The seat is good for at least a couple of hours and the little nose shield does a pretty good job of deflecting the wind over the top of my helmet. The bike also does well in formation riding, because it's liquid cooled and stays nice and cool even at slow speeds in hot weather.

My daughter will be going to school in Colorado next year and I have to admit that I've looked at other cruise rigs for that long ride...but you know what? I just haven't found anything I like as well. The VN750 is, for me, just the right combination of weight, power, comfort, reliability, handling and economy. It's true, it's no Harley nor BMW. I have to laugh a little, because BMW is just out with their F800, a liquid-cooled 800 cc twin intended as an entry or re-entry bike...our local BMW dealer has them for about $12,000 or so, depending on options...but I already have a more comfortable rig wth high-tech features...an OHC engine, liquid cooling, shaft drive and full instrumentation, including a temp gauge and a fuel tank gauge...for piles less money than that. I think the VN750 is going to be making the trip to Colorado at some point in the future.

Gripes? A few...I need a larger fairing or windshield, a luggage rack and I'll probably spring for floorboards made by a member of this board at some point...

When the bike is cold, it takes awhile to warm it up, and if I take off a little early, the clutch groans and sticks. This can be helped a little by putting the bike in gear and rocking it back and forth a bit before starting it...but the real solution is simply to let it warm up.

One other thing...I'd sure like a 6th gear for interstate cruising...I do sometimes try to hit a 6th gear, but it ain't there...but it's really not that big a deal...like I said above, the motor is way below its redline at interstate cruise speed.

I think you can see that I think very highly of the VN750 and I think it's a darn shame they're not made anymore. Check over the bikes you see very carefully, choose wisely (because even a VN750 won't survive monkeys screwing with it) and you'll be rewarded by being the owner of a bike which is unlike all the others out there and one which you will form a long-term relationship with...

Good luck...pay attention to this board, because these folks know whereof they speak regarding our VNs....

Bob

Bob
VROC #24344

2005 VN750
PF3
CorTech bags

Last edited by gumshoe4; 12-01-2007 at 08:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement