Newbie gives thanks! - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
New Member Introductions First Post?
Make your big introduction here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 01:14 AM Thread Starter

Smile Newbie gives thanks!

I purchased my '89 VN750 about 6 weeks ago for $350. It was mostly complete, but the carburetor was off the bike and the airboxes seemed to be missing. I was really at a loss for what to do. I'd like to thank all of you seasoned pros for all your amazing posts. After reading up and studying multiple threads, sometimes until 3 in the morning, I finally figured out that the previous owner had started an "earshave" and not finished it. Luckily he had already chopped out the surge box and gotten K&N filters for the carb. Once I figured that out, all I had to do was put the carb back on and buy some fuel line to hook up to the tank. I'm still trying to figure out where the second breather filter hooks to. The guy had put a filter on the front crank case, but not the second one that y'all mentioned. Silly me though, I had already reinstalled the carb, so I have no idea if it has been re-jetted for the increased airflow(a project for the near future). Had some problems getting it running at first, but a new set of plugs and she growls like a demon from hell(only had headers on for first crank). Anyways, I'm about $365 into this bike and it runs well. I have plenty of questions to thread later, but that's a good start, I suppose, for my newbie check in. Thanks to all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 06:56 AM
Old Truck Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZvulcan17 View Post
I purchased my '89 VN750 about 6 weeks ago for $350. It was mostly complete, but the carburetor was off the bike and the airboxes seemed to be missing. I was really at a loss for what to do. I'd like to thank all of you seasoned pros for all your amazing posts. After reading up and studying multiple threads, sometimes until 3 in the morning, I finally figured out that the previous owner had started an "earshave" and not finished it. Luckily he had already chopped out the surge box and gotten K&N filters for the carb. Once I figured that out, all I had to do was put the carb back on and buy some fuel line to hook up to the tank. I'm still trying to figure out where the second breather filter hooks to. The guy had put a filter on the front crank case, but not the second one that y'all mentioned. Silly me though, I had already reinstalled the carb, so I have no idea if it has been re-jetted for the increased airflow(a project for the near future). Had some problems getting it running at first, but a new set of plugs and she growls like a demon from hell(only had headers on for first crank). Anyways, I'm about $365 into this bike and it runs well. I have plenty of questions to thread later, but that's a good start, I suppose, for my newbie check in. Thanks to all!
This are two carbs side by side. One filter goes on the left side one on the right. the right one faces forward and the left one faces back.

02 honda sabre 1100
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 07:56 AM
Sparky!!!

Garage
nightrider, I think he is referring to the second little filter used for the breather hose that used to run to the right hand airbox.

Here is a thread that has some pictures to reference what I am talking about.

Last edited by slimvulcanrider; 08-31-2012 at 08:00 AM.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 11:48 PM Thread Starter

Leaking carbs

ok...I think I had my fuel lines hooked up to the vent lines??? had fuel lines running to the two holes I think you're talking about, somehow the engine still runs, but man it dumps more fuel on the ground than it uses for combustion. Is the little gold piece in attached pic the fuel inlet? That is, I think, where the gas is dumping from when the engine runs. I have never worked with a carb like this. My last v-twin was fuel injected and my first carbureted bike was and inline 4. The service manual I have is from a download and the pics are terrible since it was scanned to the internet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20120831_154355.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	4847  
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-01-2012, 10:34 AM
Linkmeister Supreme

Here are some carb pictures from Crobins' gallery:
https://www.vn750.com/photopost/showp...to=680&cat=548

Hope they help.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-01-2012, 11:02 AM
Sparky!!!

Garage
Gordon, He already found your thread about 10 minutes after he posted here.. lol
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 07:12 AM Thread Starter

for sure, found it right after. It was like it was posted just for me lol. I just don't get a chance to update my threads as often as you guys. Workin all the time lately and have a 2 y/o to boot. I'm lucky to get online by midnight...as you can see, it's after 4am my local time tonight...yikes. Thanks for your replies though. You all rock!!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-06-2012, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Gordon, He already found your thread about 10 minutes after he posted here.. lol
Gordon's great that way, aint he ???...he's the linking wizzard !....power to ya brother fer all the help and direction ya given others....ya get a gold star from me fer that.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-18-2012, 03:33 PM
Banned

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZvulcan17 View Post
Welcome to The Forum from Jack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement