Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1995 Vulcan...Circlip problem

2K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  maortiz428 
#1 ·
Hello all...new to forum...just picked up my first bike...95 Vulcan with 8500 miles....shop just told me that Circlip is out of groove allowing shaft to move alot...has to be dealt with or may require engine removal to fix in the future...shop says they can put a sleeve in to fix...Can anyone tell if this is true and if so how where would I get this so called sleeve? Please advise...

Thanks

#2 ·
Are you talking about the Gear Shift lever ?

WiulliamTech:)

#4 ·
Does the shifter still operate ok...does it shift gears ok?

WilliamTech

#6 ·
Hey guys, 1992 vulcan, got the engine pulled out for stator replacement. Gear shift shaft is loose. I can move it in and out of the engine about an inch or so, but I can not pull it out far enough to see the groove for the inner circlip. Both of the circlips are touching each other at the outer circlip groove right now. I have both covers off and the linkage and pawl move and are in good shape. Any ideas on how to pull the shaft out far enough to get the inner circlip back in the groove without farther breaking down the engine?
Thanks for any info
another way to check this is to see how much free play you have in your shifter...more than a 1/4 inch and you know the circlip is off or moved... you can fix this with a simple hose clamp on the outside of the case on the shifter shaft.
I tried to just slide Circlip down, Would not click.. So, I plan on just making a spacer for the shaft.
I personally have the same IN/Out free play of the Shift rod. I split a piece of small rubber hose, placed over the shaft. No problems !

Another member on this forum placed his Spark Plug socket on the shaft for a spacer.

A hose clamp does the job also.

Otherwise, it is an engine pull for the repairs.

hope this helps
WilliamTech
:smiley_th

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.