Need a new engine!! - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
New Member Introductions First Post?
Make your big introduction here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
Aro6559

Need a new engine!!

Hello all! Im new to this forum..Well let me begain by introducing myself! My name is Art and Im from Fresno Ca..I recently got a 1992 vn750 with 29,000 miles from my boss for $500! only problem is the engine fires right up and the bike itself is in great condition but has a loud engine knock! he said when he was doing about 85mph it had a sudden loss of power and started knocking and the oil lamp came on.. so he had it towed home and he immediatly drained the oil to find metal shavings in the drain pan..he put new oil in it but the damage was still there with the loud tapping/knocking sound..his guess was a spun rod bearing..well since ive owned the bike i have taken it to a well known shop in town and they told me it sounded like a spun bearing as well..so im trying to decide if i should rebuild it or find a used low mileage engine...i can do the rebuild myself and there is a kawasaki dealer right by me so finding parts wont be a problem but im trying to figure out what will be the cheapest route..also before he spun the bearing he recently had the carbs rebuilt and cleaned, new charging system, new plugs, wires, and coils as well..i also have another issue..we only have one motorcycle salvage yard here locally and the only engine they have is a vn700 from 1985 with 10,000 miles on it..i want to stick with the 750...any suggestions to where i can locate a engine other than craigslist or ebay?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 09:50 PM

Engine

Here.

Seriously, too bad about the engine problems. Given that the shipping charge for an engine anywhere outside your local area would probably add $250-300, and you have a local dealer, I would think a good option is fellow Vulcanites here on the forum. If someone in your area has some spare parts / engine / expertise, I'd look at that route.

If you took the time to rebuild your current motor, you'd know alot more about yer bike and it's mechanics.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 10:19 PM

Garage
If it where me, I would ask myself how bad do I want to have a 92 model motorcycle and how long will I keep it. Given the fact that it is a 92 model the resell value is loosing ground every day. A "good" engine is gonna be $500 to say $900 plus shipping if not local. And while the replacement engine is off the bike better do the stator,+ gaskets, couple hundred buck. Before it's over with you could end up with more in the bike than what it's worth. I personally would ebay/craiglist the heck out of it and buy a running bike, preferably something not 20 years old. Now thats just me. Good luck in what ever you do with the bike.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 10:39 PM
Old Truck Junkie

There is not much difference in performance from the 700 to the 750. How much money are they wanting for the 700 engine. That may be the way to go.

02 honda sabre 1100
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-22-2012, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
Aro6559

They want $500 for the 700cc engine with exchange..i guess ill just be patient and keep looking until i find a 750 for around the $500 range and swap over all the new parts on my 750 like the stator and coils and wires and battery because there all new..ill just change the gaskets on the new engine as well with a new silver paint job to give it a fresh look...
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-22-2012, 02:39 PM

The 700 is actually a better engine, imo (I compared specs on the 2)...Im still running my '85 VN700 almost daily, and had almost none of the problems that the 750s had (like splines, POOGS, etc)...besides basic/timely replacement of brakes, clutch, fork seals, only prob Ive had was with the carbs...and theyre the same...my sparkplugs look "textbook"...the 700 engine is a gem !

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-22-2012, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
Aro6559

Nice!! My question to you is how does the engine sound compared to a 750? I wanna run the vance and hines and want it to sound as mean as possible! And what are the main differences between the 2 engines? Do they use the same carbs and are the stator and such interchangable?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-22-2012, 04:50 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
sound between the 700 vs the 750... identical.

almost every part on the 750 and the 700 interchange, the internal combustion parts are slightly different, but you can take a set of 700 jugs (with head) and put them on a 750 block using the 750 crank and 700 pistons... and vice-verse. all engine covers interchange.

The biggest difference in the 700 vs the 750 is the pistons. The 700 is obviously 50cc's smaller. but like I said.. its the same block and crank.

Last edited by slimvulcanrider; 07-22-2012 at 04:56 PM.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-22-2012, 05:21 PM

700 has higher compression ratio too from what Ive read(not by much), and had better torque, I "think" due to fewer emissions...we get rid of that stuff anyway eventually...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement