Newbies in New Hampshire - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
New Member Introductions First Post?
Make your big introduction here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-23-2012, 10:46 PM Thread Starter

Newbies in New Hampshire

Hello, All--

My Wife and I just inherited a 2001 750 from our kids. First it was our Daughter's but she stopped riding when she had kids. Our son took it over but he did not maintain it well (darn kids, mutter, mutter, grumble, grumble, etc) so he stopped driveing it a while ago, just parked it when it got unreliable. Then, we got it. Thanks, kids!

I rode for almost 20 years but then stopped almost 40 years ago to raise my family and to placate my first wife (who did NOT like the bike thing at all). My new, improved Wife (ten glorious years and counting) and I are really looking forward to getting out with our "new" castoff bike. She is already researching motorcycle training courses for herself. I need to do some quiet riding on quiet streets and get back in the swing of things. Our part of New Hampshire has lots of lovely and untraveled roads. Perfect.

I have it running but still have a ways to go to get it up to my standards. I look forward to much learning on this forum, I like what I have seen as I lurked for a while. I have already downloaded the shop manual (thanks to this forum). I have a Deka AGM battery and a Battery Minder on order. I plan to change the engine oil and filter and the rear end gear oil, lube the driveshaft splines and do the cleaning proceedure for the fuel tank vent system. Once I have a decent battery in it I will check the health of the stator and regulator. What else would you all recommend for a bike that has been stagnant for several years? Or, should I just wait and see what the bike tells me it needs?

Final question - which I could most likely answer on a thread in here someplace - Is there a commonly available oil filter that works well on our machines or do I need to locate a real Kawasaki filter here in the hinterlands?

Last edited by Bob&Pat; 06-23-2012 at 10:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-23-2012, 10:59 PM
Bat
Bat

First, put Seafoam in your gas tank, and while that's working its wiles, go to the Vulcan Verses on this site and read, read, read. You will find the answers to all your questions including some you never thought to ask. If there is something else you'd like to know, there are zillions of people on this forum who can and will contribute loads of good stuff to your knowledge bank! Delighted to have you and your wife here, and hope you'll stick around a long time, and enjoy your VN 750...one of the great bikes of all time!
They are very forgiving with a little TLC and will take you a long way.
And, most importantly,
When you change your rear tire, be sure and grease the drive shaft splines...that's in the Verses, too, just how to do it to save yourself a lot of grief.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-23-2012, 11:02 PM

Oil Filters

Welcome to the Forum. To find out what filters will work just search in the Verses. That section in the forums in the red type. This forum is the place to get the information that you will need and want.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-24-2012, 04:00 AM
Sparky!!!

Garage
I prefer any Wix filter for my oil filter.. as for air filters.. Stock or Stock K&N replacements are what I would recommend unless you are doing the "Ear Shave". then its K&N pods.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement