new owner, new rider - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
New Member Introductions First Post?
Make your big introduction here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 08:58 AM Thread Starter

new owner, new rider

Howdy all,

Time to introduce myself. Name is Brian and I live in Columbia, MD.

I've been lurking for about 2 months now after I decided to get my license and found a VN750 as my first bike.

In the 2 months or so that I've had the bike (and 2.5 months since I got my license after the BRC) I've put on about 1k miles with making short trips at night to practice and, after last weekend, a nice long trip up to Gettysburg, PA.

I've been reading the forums pretty much daily since I got the bike and have started trying to work on the suggested tweaks that I've seen. I don't have a garage so even if I want to do some of the work myself right now it's just easier for me to make plans to take it to the shop. Luckily it seems like I found a good one last night who will be taking care of the spline lube for about $40. I'm going to talk to him about doing the ear shave and possible degoat later. I did swap out the battery and plugs (go me!) so it's a start.. last time I did any work on a vehicle was my 69 VW Beetle.

I might be heading up to Gettysburg bike week for a day or two with some local people. That would be my first bike rally/show/thing.. Still learning the lingo.

Plans for the near future for the bike.

Possible back rests and/or extended back rest. This is mostly so when I let the kid on the bike I feel a little safer with him having something to hold on to.. speaking of that.. if anyone have any tips for riding with an 8 year old (who has been on the back of another bike a few times (not with me) I would be interested.

Saddlebags and/or luggage rack. Someone gave me a set of T-bag luggage but I'm not sure if I can mount it on my bike currently. I tried to set up the small back turned around so it sits on the seat but wasn't feeling very secure with it so took it off for now.

I ordered floorboards and highway pegs from Chad and they are on the way.

Degoat and Ear shave (liked the look without the filters on the side) but, as I said above, this might be a shop thing.

As a new rider I have to say I'm hooked... I think last week when the weather was really nice I was on the bike more often than I was in the car. Though now I have developed a strange feeling where I feel the vibration of the bike in my chest even when I haven't been on it for a few hours... I think it's calling me back

I'm going to be looking to meet some local cruiser riders (this area is real popular for crotch rockets) and see what I can learn from them.

2004 VN750 bought 05/24/12

Replaced battery with MF
Replaced plugs with Iridium
Floorboards and highway mounts from Chad
Added 900 Seat with rest
Relocated rear turn signals to break light

Plans:
Luggage rack
Saddle bags
Lube Splines
Ear Shave
Degoat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 11:43 AM

Garage
Welcome to the group Brian.

"Show me a man who makes no mistakes, and I'll show you a man who doesn't do things." Theodore Roosevelt."

2007 Victory Kingpin
Current projects - 1986 VN750 & 1988 EL250
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 12:02 PM

Garage
Welcome to the group!

I have a 7yr old and I suggest you keep him off for a while until you get more comfortable with the bike.
The bike handles and feels very different when you have a passenger....depending on your setup and the passenger. If he is a "good passenger" and can reach the foot pegs, it is your choice if you feel he is safe to have as a passenger.

Good luck and ride safe!

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 12:52 PM

Welcome to the forum
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 11:16 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Welcome to the Vulcan madness.
X2 to kc.^^^^^^
Get a years experience riding by yourself before carrying a passenger, especially if you have to ride in a lot of traffic. Taking the youngster for short rides around the neighborhood may be ok, but avoid high speed highways until you have more experience.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 11:50 PM
Patriot Guard Rider

Congrats and Welcome to the VN750 Insanity!

1986 Black Kawasaki Vulcan VN750 "Black KAWK"
VN750 #9300 & VROC #33453

EMGO Handlebar, V&H Exhaust, Drop Shocks, Raised/Painted Fork, MeanStreak Seat, Tank Bib, ME880 Oversize Tires, Engine Guard, Custom Mirrors, Chris Products Turn Signals, Ear Shave, 150/42 Jets, PINGEL Fuel Valve, MCCT, Volt Meter, Shendegen R/R, AGM Battery, Coastered, .020 Coils, Relo Gauges & Headlamp, SilverStar Ultra, LED Flashing Brake Light, Center Stand Delete, WOLO Airhorn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement