Wind eeek - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
New Member Introductions First Post?
Make your big introduction here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 10:07 AM Thread Starter

Wind eeek

So, right now I just finished a 40 min ride to work (for the first time) going 65 to 70 mph in idaho, its already windy here and its prolly about 48F. I did not like it, maybe its just because i am not used to it at all. It was a lot of wind on my body. Is it something i just have to get used to it seemed like 50mph was perfectly fine but there was this 65 wall that exhausted me. Any tips or anything? As well as i couldn't feel my hands after i got into the city so it was hard to start because i coudlnt feel the clutch. Guess my gloves werent good enough

Thanks

a new rider

2004 Vulcan 750

Last edited by Ruin700; 05-02-2012 at 10:11 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 10:49 AM

Wind

48 degrees and in the wind is cold if you are not dressed for it. That is what makes leather or other approaite gear nessesary. I don't ride much below 50 degrees. I'm sure there others on this forum that will think I'm not really a rider. Warm weather is coming though, and then I will park my car.

Ride Safe
Mcneuby
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 11:31 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruin700 View Post
So, right now I just finished a 40 min ride to work (for the first time) going 65 to 70 mph in idaho, its already windy here and its prolly about 48F. I did not like it, maybe its just because i am not used to it at all. It was a lot of wind on my body. Is it something i just have to get used to it seemed like 50mph was perfectly fine but there was this 65 wall that exhausted me. Any tips or anything? As well as i couldn't feel my hands after i got into the city so it was hard to start because i coudlnt feel the clutch. Guess my gloves werent good enough

Thanks

a new rider
Going 65-70 in that temperature is going to be cold. When I got my bike last year I noticed that at 50mph the wind wasn't too bad. At 65 and above the VN750 seems to have more wind buffeting than any of my other bikes. I put on a small windscreen that helps a lot. You might want to try a windshield as mentioned in several threads here.

JM2001

" Loud Pipes Risk Rights "

2001 Vulcan 750
marbled
TOC upgrade on ACCT
Air/fuel mixture set to 2 1/2 out
rectifier relocated
splines lubed
iridiums
decals removed
upgraded mirrors
Pic up coil mod done
degoated
All LED lighting
Upgraded Mosfet rectifier

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 11:52 AM

Welcome!
Having spent most of my life in the Dakotas, I can relate to cold morning (and, sometimes, afternoon) rides. First thing, I always had a windshield of some kind on every bike I rode. If the temp was below 50, I wore heavy snowmobile gloves. I also had an electric vest to keep my core warm. It seems silly to dress for a blizzard when you'll likely be going home in perfect weather, but the windchill at that temp/speed combination will suck the life out of you. By the time you realize how cold you are, you are likely beyond too cold to be safely riding.

My suggestion would be to gear up in the morning, and have some saddle bags or other storage to strap that stuff on for the return home.

Enjoy every mile!
Hippie

2005 VN750 upwards of 14K (haven't looked lately)

Mods:
AGM Battery
Degoated
Headers wrapped
Custom paint
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 12:04 PM

Garage
I recommend the plexistar windshield....helps shield your hands from the wind.
You can also get those guards that attach in front of the grips....or even heated grips.

The proper attire and gloves will make a huge difference in cold weather.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 12:06 PM
If only it had 6th gear..

I had a small wind screen on mine, a Hell Cat by Memphis Shades. Not too expensive and I could ride 80-90 long term without the fatigue. For gloves, decent leather ones are a must in the cold weather. I've tried regular winter gloves but they're too porous and the wind gets through after a while. Good luck

Dave

Mods:
Jetted, shaved & coastered
Home made under-tank single filter
Converted ACCT's to manual (thanks wib714)
Dual vac lines on petcock (my cure for ticking)
LED tail/plate lights
Relocated helmet lock to license plate

Added stuff:
Customized hard bags w/ lights
Chrome levers
Hellcat windscreen
LED running lights
Home made 'Vita-Volt' meter
Foot rests on engine guard
Tunes

Hmm....she was on the back when we left.... ??
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 02:27 PM

There are 2 main things for cold weather riding.
1-break/block the wind.
2-insulate in layers.

Windshields are great, and can always be popped off when it gets too warm if desired. As for garb, I wear either leather or Carhart, usually with a down vest or hooded sweatshirt underneath, then jeans and long johns. When REAL cold, I wear insulated Carhart coveralls.
I almost always wear a halfshell helmet, so to that I'll add a military helmet liner that wraps ears, old style aviator goggles, and a thinsulate face mask which reaches to bottom of throat. For gloves, I use thinsulate lined leather.
When cold, I wear cold weather combat boots and wool socks, and when REAL cold, have been known to wear Sorels.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement