hello all - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
New Member Introductions First Post?
Make your big introduction here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-16-2012, 11:54 PM Thread Starter

hello all

I just got a 1985 vulcan 700 and it was gonna be my new project (as soon as I finish the GL 1100) and my wife has helped me to understand she does not like having 2 project bikes (besides the GL I have an XS project) Im supposed to understand I cant rescue every old bike I find (why not?) so Im trying to decide which to build next and which to part out. If I decided to et the Vulcan go could you guys use any of it? I like the look of the vulcan any input to parts availability? I didnt see much on fleabay. If I cant get parts as easy as I can for the XS I may let it go so Im gonna throw up a hail mary and see what you guys think since you fellas know the bike better than I do. Ill try to get some pics up soon. although its been sittin up its complete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 12:17 AM

Welcome to the forum. I to have a vn700 as a project. For parts most parts for a 750 will fit. The only real difference with the engines is the cylinder, piston dia. I replaced my bikes crankshaft with a 95 750 crankshaft. So when looking for parts look for 750 parts. There's a lot more of those around.

Live Free, Ride Much My Friends

Charlie

85 VN700
"SERENITY"
Replaced crankshaft and rod bearings
coasterd
earshaved
degoated
sportster mufflers installed

To do
Repaint tank, frt fender, and side covers
add saddle bags
add luggage rack
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 12:33 AM Thread Starter

thanks! thats a valuable tip!

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 10:17 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Here is the history of changes made to the vn700/750 through the years:
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthrea...ght=color+year

Note the front brake master cylinder changed from rectangular to round on the 1991 and later models. Lever is different too.
Early models have a *dog leg bend* downward in the lever. `91 and later brake levers are *flat*.

Also `85-88 had air adjustable fork tubes, and
self cancelling signals, (which means the wiring harness is not interchangeable with later models).

Early models have some aluminum trim where later models have chrome trim pieces.

You can find all this in the link above.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html

Last edited by OlHossCanada; 04-17-2012 at 10:19 PM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-18-2012, 01:40 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

You can still get most parts for the VN700, and if you wanted to replace the 700 engine with a 750 engine, all the parts are available. The 750 cylinders and pistons might even fit the 700, don't know of anybody who has ever tried it. In fact you might even be able to bore the 700 cylinders to fit the 750 pistons. The 700 was was only made one year, and only for U.S. sale, to duck the "Harley tariff" I doubt they did anything but sleeve the cylinder down a tiny bit.

What kind of XS? The only XS I know of you can still get parts for is the XS650. Those are great bikes, I've had two.

I also had a Goldwing project last year, an '85 1200LTD that was given to me. After spending several hundred hours of work and around $2000 on it, I finally have a very nice running dependable bike. By far the most frustrating thing about it was trying to find parts. Sadly there is just no support for vintage Japanese bikes, the XS650 being one of the few exceptions.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-18-2012, 07:54 PM

Keep the Vulcan and the GL IMO...and the VN700 is WAYYY better than the 750 IMO. Besides, its now considered historic/classic/vintage by most DMVs and that could be beneficial. And its more rare than the 750s which again, IMO, adds to its value.
Here's my 700 and my progress over the past 8 months : https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19429

Welcome, and hope you keep one of the reasons to stay here.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement