Yet, another newbie here! - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
New Member Introductions First Post?
Make your big introduction here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 10:01 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Yet, another newbie here!

Hello everyone. I bought a 2000 with just under 12k on the clock. I snagged it for $1,000 flat a few days ago, I think I got a heck of a deal! Now this needs alot of work and attention which it will get. Looks like it has been sitting in the open most of it's life. It needs alot "to me" work before I can even try cranking it over. Im far from new to bikes and far from new to forums. I take pics as I do work, everyone likes pics! My question is, is there a project thread or sub forum for this for everyone to observe/comment if they like, I didn't see one?

Here is one of the craigslist ad pics, I bought it over the phone from over an hour away without even looking at it in person. More pics to come on a project thread~

BTW this is the second time making a newb thread, first never posted?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 11:02 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Welcome to the Vulcan madness Rebel.

The General Discussion forum is probably the best one to start your project thread on.
Looks like you made a pretty good deal on the bike to me. I see a few mods on it.

The seat is different. New upholstery at least I think--no butt hammer buttons.
Looks like the toolbox on the back of the passenger seat backrest is gone, and the chrome trim around it and the bottom edge of the seat is not visible either.

Bonus, you have a genuine Kaw Fire and Steel engine guard to hang some highway pegs on.
Think I see an extra driving light already mounted on it too.

Also see aftermarket mirrors and maybe Kuryaken grips.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html

Last edited by OlHossCanada; 03-30-2012 at 11:06 PM.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 11:20 PM Thread Starter

Garage
The seat was modified by one of the previous owners, supposedly really tall so they extended it. The parts behind seat I have, just not on it yet. The mirrors are correded and coming off! The crash cage was a plus but, the fog's have to go, they are in bad shape too. I will make a project thread soon! Pics look better then in person, as usual.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 12:50 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

At least it still has the stock air intake system, but it looks like the left side muffler is missing, or is it just hidden behind the saddlebag? These bikes don't do well with modifications to the intake or exhaust. They are highly tuned from the factory, and modifying them just sort of messes things up.

Do a spline lube and check the cam chain tensioners before anything else. And best of luck with it.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 12:56 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I yanked the stock intake off lastnight. Previous owner used turn downs after the belly and are rusted out.

Last edited by Rebel13; 03-31-2012 at 12:58 AM.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 10:23 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Welcome to the forum.

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 10:47 AM
Patriot Guard Rider

Congrats and Welcome to the insanity know as VN750.

1986 Black Kawasaki Vulcan VN750 "Black KAWK"
VN750 #9300 & VROC #33453

EMGO Handlebar, V&H Exhaust, Drop Shocks, Raised/Painted Fork, MeanStreak Seat, Tank Bib, ME880 Oversize Tires, Engine Guard, Custom Mirrors, Chris Products Turn Signals, Ear Shave, 150/42 Jets, PINGEL Fuel Valve, MCCT, Volt Meter, Shendegen R/R, AGM Battery, Coastered, .020 Coils, Relo Gauges & Headlamp, SilverStar Ultra, LED Flashing Brake Light, Center Stand Delete, WOLO Airhorn.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 02:45 PM

Welclcome to the forum, and GREAT find there !...just looking quick, I dont think it sat out THAT long...looks pretty good.
If it sat at all though, first thing to do is drain the tank and check for rust inside. Easiest done by removing the petcock. If the rust isnt too bad (mine actually had a pinhole) do a tank cleaning (directions found here on the forum) and dump some SeaFoam in with the new gas.

Quote:
I yanked the stock intake off lastnight. Previous owner used turn downs after the belly and are rusted out.
You have 2 choices. Either spend a lot of money to restore the intake back to stock with fully engineered parts, or save for riding gas and accessory money by doing a few mods found here yerself. All depends on what ya want and how much green ya have.

Either way, the MOST important thing is to enjoy yer new bike !!! be it riding or wrenching.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 10:16 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I'm not sure on status of the tank as of yet. I have one key and it split while trying to open the cap it wouldn't open. Trying to catch the locksmith with working the same hours they do is a pain. I do know the overflow/vent is rusted, half of it snapped while pulling off the hose and is stuck in it as shown in the picture. I keep finding things, I just noticed I need front wheel bearings now too. It needs a bit more work then I thought. I just hope the engine is sound.

Check out these bad fork seals!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-01-2012, 02:04 PM

Starting to look more and more like mine with each pic, lol. Mine is an 85 though and was leaning up against a barn for 5 yrs.
Looking at that rusted out tube on the back of the tank, you can almost be guaranteed rust in the tank. Try spraying some 5-56 or WD-40 in the keyhole for the cap, let her set awhile, then try jiggling the key back and forth gently. Also, FYI, to open the cap, the key turns clockwise (kinda weird).
My cap had a busted off key in it and wouldnt close when I got it, so I just yanked out the tumbler guts (think there's a rertaining clip too). I now just have a slotted mechanism which I open/close with a modified old housekey. I mean heck, if someone wants yer gas that bad, they can get it from the petcock too. Why have a key ?
Also, prepare to pull the carbs and clean out the float chambers. If the tank's rusted, Im sure some crud got into the carbs too.
I paid $500 for mine running. Had no air cleaners, rusted out goats belly, holes in muffs, and more. I invested another $300 in parts and mods, and I now have a usable bike. Check my before/after pics in my intro thread.

https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19429

Sponsored Links
Advertisement