replacing grips - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
New Member Introductions First Post?
Make your big introduction here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

replacing grips

i know im probably overloading the server with all these questions but i have another on new grips.

The left seems simple enough.. just take off the old and put on the new.. on the right side, do you replace the throttle mechanism as well or do you just cut off the grip and take the new grip away from the throttle body that comes with it and slip it on the existing one??

Pittsburgh Dave
2001 VN750...old ride
2003 VN1600.. new ride
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 11:57 AM

It may depend on what type of grip you get. There are those out there that come with a throttle sleeve. Most don't so you will have to cut the old one off to slip the new one on. This can be tricky. I had to heat mine, in the oven for 10min, to over 100f to get it flexiable enough to slip it on with a little KY.

Live Free, Ride Much My Friends

Charlie

85 VN700
"SERENITY"
Replaced crankshaft and rod bearings
coasterd
earshaved
degoated
sportster mufflers installed

To do
Repaint tank, frt fender, and side covers
add saddle bags
add luggage rack
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 03:20 PM

What was you slipping on with the KY

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

i wont touch the KY comment...but....my grips are coming with an internal throttle, but what i am seeing is most people use the stock throttle and just put a grip over that..here's the link of what i bought..http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-C...73209871737884
can you take out the throttle sleeve that comes with these and just put the grip on??

Pittsburgh Dave
2001 VN750...old ride
2003 VN1600.. new ride
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 06:45 PM

Quote:
i know im probably overloading the server with all these questions but i have another on new grips
You could try posting your querries in the individual sections such as "equipment", "exhaust", etc.....

I had non stock grips when I bought my bike (an '85), and they both came off with some gentle and even yanking with a flatbar. My throttle side has a nylon sleeve which the grip goes over.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 07:24 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

IF the throttle sleeve that comes with your right grip works with the Vulcan 750, you can use it. If not, you will need to remove it from the sleeve (not always possible, some of those grips that come with a throttle sleeve are glued together really good), or get a set of grips without the sleeve. If you get just slip over grips, you will still need to remove and modify the stock throttle sleeve. It has 4 protrusions on it that fit into the stock grip, that won't work with a universal grip. To make the grip fit up against the switch pod right, you will need to cut or grind those off.

I still have the original stock grips on mine, after 72,000 miles, because of how comfortable they are. To me, as a high mileage rider, comfort comes before looks. But I have replaced grips on bikes with that type of throttle sleeve, and I used a Stanley knife with a new blade to slowly trim down the protrusions until they were flush with the grip. Using a grinding tool like a Dremel can cause enough heat to melt the plastic sleeve.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement