So-Cal Newbie With Newbie Oopses to Share! - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
New Member Introductions First Post?
Make your big introduction here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-13-2012, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
Bobber Junkie

Send a message via Skype™ to Madame Mohawk
So-Cal Newbie With Newbie Oopses to Share!

Greetings fellow Vulcan-keepers,

It is so awesome to find a forum dedicated to such a great machine, and specifically to the VN-750! I have an 86'; it is my first motorcycle, and I totally adore it. I go by Madame Mohawk because I have mohawks on my helmets (Silly I know) and because I'm a lady (notice there's quite a few of us here, which I find awesome!). I've only been riding for a total of nine months, and most of that has been on a 50cc scooter. It was my daily driver until I began riding my Vulcan. Even though I'm a recent rider, it's in my blood; both parents used to ride.

I know there's a due process to everything, and I had planned on following the proper process for learning to ride my Vulcan: buy the bike, fix it up, enjoy. Funny that things don't always work out the way we plan...

...My bike spent its' first two months in 'my' possession in the garage, getting age-related and wear-related problems taken care of. Yep, that's right: two. months. I got it back right around Christmastime. I blame no one for this; the former owner told me everything he knew that was glitchy, the garage simply found more. And I had to pay the work off in time, since holiday season had me running a little short.

I was able to enjoy my bike, making it my new daily driver and giving my scooter a rest, from 12/22 until 1/20. Oh, that fateful date. In my mind, it will forever live in infamy. I was on my way to work on my bike...and I got in a one-vehicle wreck with myself, trying to avoid a car that had suddenly slammed on its brakes. Both my bike and I were very lucky; my head never touched the pavement, back and neck were fine, and my leg neatly cushioned my bike's fall, so that all it suffered were minor dings and bent forks. My leg, however, did not fare as well...

I was so proud of myself for never screaming, crying, cussing or losing consciousness while the bike was lifted off me and I was placed on a gurney, noticing my left knee did not look right. At all. I even made jokes most of the time I was at the ER getting poked, prodded and x-rayed. The first thing I asked my poor, worried fiance when he showed up was 'How's my bike!?' He, of course, was much more worried about me, and answered something to the effect of 'Uh, I think I saw a couple of dings, but for the most part it looks okay'. My knee, however, did not.

It was determined I had something called a 'tibia plateau fracture' , a 'hip contusion' and something I don't remember about my foot, which was later deemed to be a shadow on the image, as well as plenty of nice raspberries on both legs. How that happened, I'm still not sure. But they were certain that tibia fracture was going to require surgery. My leg swelled up really big, and I had to wait for about three weeks for the swelling to go down so they could get in there and put things back together. I went in for surgery early on 2/10. I asked the doctors how long they thought it would take and what might be involved, and they told us two to three hours and some plates and screws. Seven and a half hours later...

...I found myself awakening in the recovery room, and heard the nurse talking about me. As soon as I was able to make my mouth work, I asked for water, and then asked why on earth I had been in surgery for seven and a half hours. She said there had been some complications but didn't really expand upon it beyond that. I found out what happened at about six the next morning.

The doctor came in, doing his rounds and checked on me, then let me know what had happened. The break was much worse than they had thought and the top of the tibia was practically shattered. They not only used plates and screws but cadaver bones as well (I had approved this pre-procedure, should the need arise) and that I'd have to stay off it for a full three months. I also had eighty staples, holding the incision closed, and pain meds. Lots and lots of pain meds. I spent the next four days (including most of Valentine's day) in a druggy stupor. I slept a lot.

I was released late on Valentine's day and was really bummed because I had made so much progress, getting around on crutches, and now I was back to square one. My fiance was a doll and really took care of me. Oh, did I mention he actually got fired from his job for taking care of me? They later called and begged him to come back, but they fired him first. He now works somewhere else that appreciates him a little more.

That more or less brings us to the now. I'm doing physical therapy to get the range of motion back in my leg. No casts, just this funky contraption called a immobilizer, which keeps my leg straight unless I have to have it out for my therapy. I should be technically off the restrictions in late April, and I have a very bad case of cabin fever. Beyond this I'm a martial artist, blogger, collector of swords and antiquities, reptile owner and crazy person. I talk. A lot. But I'm certain you fine folks have figured that out over the course of this post, haven't you?

And as soon as I get the green light and change those bent forks, I'm getting right back on my Vulcan. Hopefully, never to have a one-vehicle accident again.

May you all Live Long and Prosper!

--Madame Mohawk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-13-2012, 08:39 PM

Welcome fellow 86 newbie
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-13-2012, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Bobber Junkie

Cool

Thanks megawatt! They're sweet bikes, aren't they? Once I replace those bent forks, I'm gonna bob mine and customize the paint. I think it's gonna be a really fun project.:

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-13-2012, 09:22 PM
1986 VN750

Garage
I love my 86! Hello fellow so-cal person!

1986 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
NGK Iridium Plugs #7803/DPR7EIX-9
Duralast Gold ETX15 AGM Battery
Coastered & Shaved
TOC MCCTs
Metzeler ME880 [110/90-19, 170/80-15]
Balance Dampers Replaced
Tuxedo Mod
Rebuilt Forks w/ Progressive Springs
V&H Cruzers
VN750.com Grill Cover
Meanstreak Seat
Emgo 23-92411 Handlebars
MOSFET FH012AA R/R

1990 Kawasaki Vulcan 750

1998 Honda VFR800 FI

2014 Honda VFR800F

1989 Pontiac Firebird Formula 350
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-13-2012, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
Bobber Junkie

Thanks thtanner! Nice to meet another SoCaler with an 86'! Is that your bike in your Avatar? Mine is the same paintjob, and I have taken a photo that looks so close to that that I had to go and look in my photos to see if it was mine, haha. XD Maybe I'll make it my avatar too; they're so similar it's uncanny.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-13-2012, 09:36 PM
1986 VN750

Garage
The image was taken the day I picked up my bike. It still had the ugly fairing on it that I immediately got rid of, but luckily you really can't tell in that image.

I am waiting on the balance dampers to come in so I can replace them. I feel like a kid who's grounded because I don't want to run my bike until the repair is done. I'm going stir-crazy here!

1986 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
Coastered & Shaved
TOC MCCTs
Balance Dampers Replaced
Tuxedo Mod
V&H Cruzers
VN750.com Grill Cover
Meanstreak Seat
Emgo 23-92411 Handlebars
MOSFET FH012AA R/R

1990 Kawasaki Vulcan 750

1998 Honda VFR800 FI

2014 Honda VFR800F

post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-13-2012, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
Bobber Junkie

Haha, that is too funny! We should get together and ride before I do any serious mods to my bike and really confuse people!

*Edit* I hear ya on the stir craziness. It's going to be at least April 27th before I'm off disability and can even walk. I can't wait to ride again!
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-13-2012, 09:59 PM
1986 VN750

Garage
I'd be down to ride with my bike's twin any time.

There is a San Diego chapter of the Vulcan Riders Association as well. I'm in their yahoo group, but I haven't officially made it down to any meets. They all ride Vulcans of some nature, and there are a few 750s around (dmantis has one). I'm a newer rider (this is my first bike) so I haven't been comfortable riding all the way down to SD just yet. I was as worried about me as the bike. That'll change after this next service, and I should be ready to go all season.

I would love to get a few 750 owners to come up here to Dana Point and go on a PCH cruise. I live and work right off of it, and my work's parking lot would make a great meeting location. Maybe I'll consider getting a meet together sometime, if there's interest.

1986 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
Coastered & Shaved
TOC MCCTs
Balance Dampers Replaced
Tuxedo Mod
V&H Cruzers
VN750.com Grill Cover
Meanstreak Seat
Emgo 23-92411 Handlebars
MOSFET FH012AA R/R

1990 Kawasaki Vulcan 750

1998 Honda VFR800 FI

2014 Honda VFR800F

post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-13-2012, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
Bobber Junkie

Haha, that would be awesome!

I haven't made any long trips on mine either; mine is also my first bike and I've only had it a few months and am still working on little quirks that keep popping up. Keep me posted if you do get a PCH ride organized; I'd LOVE to do that! If you'll have a sport bike in the group, my fiance would be interested as well. At least he rides a Kawasaki. Let me know! We're actually in the Inland Empire, but he used to fish down at Dana Point and knows the area.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-13-2012, 11:48 PM
Patriot Guard Rider

MM, glad to hear you are on the road to recovery. It is ironic to see another Black/Red '86 in So. Cal. all within an hour of each other. When you get back on your Scoot the 3 of us need to get together for a cruise.

1986 Black Kawasaki Vulcan VN750 "Black KAWK"
VN750 #9300 & VROC #33453

EMGO Handlebar, V&H Exhaust, Drop Shocks, Raised/Painted Fork, MeanStreak Seat, Tank Bib, ME880 Oversize Tires, Engine Guard, Custom Mirrors, Chris Products Turn Signals, Ear Shave, 150/42 Jets, PINGEL Fuel Valve, MCCT, Volt Meter, Shendegen R/R, AGM Battery, Coastered, .020 Coils, Relo Gauges & Headlamp, SilverStar Ultra, LED Flashing Brake Light, Center Stand Delete, WOLO Airhorn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement