test your troubleshooting skills anyone? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
New Member Introductions First Post?
Make your big introduction here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-13-2012, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

test your troubleshooting skills anyone?

Hi there all. Love the sight...excellent forum.
My story...
I usually buy fix and sell a few bikes a year.At present i have two...an 04 vulcan 750 and a custom im building. Im a newbe with regards to the vulcan, but not bikes in general.
So here's the bikes story...
I picked up this...what looked to be bone stock...750 last fall broken down and rusting under a tarp in NC for 500 bucks...20k miles w mild road rash. It had a clean title and hawaii tags. According to the owner, it hadnt run since it was stolen and recovered several years earlier.
So... before i found this sight, i pull the tank and carbs, ca emissions junk...seperator, carbon filter, hoses etc...remove the stale stuff, clean the jets, slides, needles etc... drain the contaminated fluids, join the valve breathers with a hose, T, and filter... reassemble, and bang...just like magic it breathes life once again.
Now... in my haste i didn't record jet sizes, and didnt sinc yet, but it has some issues that seem odd if it is indeed stock...
With old school stainless mesh air filters it runs very well. With the slightest bit of intake restriction it wont even redline in nuetral. Im talking just the stacks... no air box. Air adj screws had been unplugged and show sighns of tooling. And i dont remember washers under the needle valves. Sounds like an overly rich condition. So, before i free up the exhaust a bit to try n balance, and start playing the jet game afterward, what size are jets/needles are stock, and does anyone see another possibility?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-13-2012, 10:13 AM

stock bike jets (132/38) fuel mixture about 2.5 turns
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-13-2012, 10:29 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorseman View Post
Hi there all. Love the sight...excellent forum.
My story...
I usually buy fix and sell a few bikes a year.At present i have two...an 04 vulcan 750 and a custom im building. Im a newbe with regards to the vulcan, but not bikes in general.
So here's the bikes story...
I picked up this...what looked to be bone stock...750 last fall broken down and rusting under a tarp in NC for 500 bucks...20k miles w mild road rash. It had a clean title and hawaii tags. According to the owner, it hadnt run since it was stolen and recovered several years earlier.
So... before i found this sight, i pull the tank and carbs, ca emissions junk...seperator, carbon filter, hoses etc...remove the stale stuff, clean the jets, slides, needles etc... drain the contaminated fluids, join the valve breathers with a hose, T, and filter... reassemble, and bang...just like magic it breathes life once again.
Now... in my haste i didn't record jet sizes, and didnt sinc yet, but it has some issues that seem odd if it is indeed stock...
With old school stainless mesh air filters it runs very well. With the slightest bit of intake restriction it wont even redline in nuetral. Im talking just the stacks... no air box. Air adj screws had been unplugged and show sighns of tooling. And i dont remember washers under the needle valves. Sounds like an overly rich condition. So, before i free up the exhaust a bit to try n balance, and start playing the jet game afterward, what size are jets/needles are stock, and does anyone see another possibility?
Since you are new to these carbs you need to know that turning the mixture screws out increase fuel rather than air on these carbs,it is a fuel screw ,not an air screw,a lot of people turn out to 3.5 turns to get it rich enough.Not redlining would suggest you have to small of a main jet in it.These engines are a lot more sensitive to intake changes than they are to exhaust changes,with K&N Pods on Mine I ran 150/40 withe the screws three turns out and no shims,that is a little fatter than most run but it handle it well,as you obviously are experienced with bike ,you probably know there is no magic setup and all have to be tuned to find the sweet spot.I was also running Jardine rumbler pipes,for information purposes,you will have to jet accordingly,look up pickup coil mod or regapping pickup coils on here and give that a shot too,it will help a bit as well.

If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-13-2012, 01:49 PM

The "old school stainless mesh air filters" need the oiled foam filters on them. you do have the foam parts, right? lf not you can get some aftermarket ones for about $10 a pop.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-13-2012, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

Ok...thanks for all the responces. Just to clarify i intend on using foam or cone filters asap, but with a situation like this, not knowing if timing chains, valves, rings etc were all good, im starting with whats at arms reach. Mesh isnt as good as the options youall siggest, i agree. But i had it here. And the air adj screw i am fam with. If im not mistaken they use this same carb x 4 on the ninjas ive owned. That aside, i just came back in from pulling the carbs again. It was jetted for stock 132/38 w no shims. I cleaned em again and did a small shim, because there was a slight hesitation that fthat like starving mid throttle. Its had awsome low and top end since its back from the dead, except with the stock breather on it. Then its junk all the way. Just to clarify... stock jets tunned at approx 1.3 out, as thats where it peeked. Stock exhaust.
Runs like junk w stock breather.
fast as hell without.
excellent responce throughout action since spaced.
what am i missing? I mean, i can cone filter it and call it good, but i hate not understanding y and what. It should be better with stock intake, no?
Why isnt it?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-13-2012, 06:42 PM

Have you got the breathers correct stock system runs well with 2.5 turns on fuel/mix screws I would have thought at 1.3 out it would be running very lean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement