Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

First post-neutral light problem

3K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  Ndr 
#1 ·
Hi I am from New Haven Missouri and bought a 93 vn 750 in January last bike was 82 Suzuki gs750e. Well anyway I have put 1000 miles on the Vulcan without any problems until recently I changed oil out with rotella t 15w 40 and shortly after my neutral light will start coming on at about 5000 rpms and go back out when possibly vibration decreases at lower rpms. I haven't noticed any shifting problems but really concerns me any ideas of what may cause this issue.
Thanks for any help.

#4 ·
Thanks for the reply rode bike home from work this morning and light never came on . But thanks I located light green wire going to what I believe is the neutral switch in the crankcase and I will follow it and check connections as soon as time allows. Thanks again.

#6 ·
Welcome to the Vulcan madness.

(Does the Vulcan improve your karaoke too. lol :))

#7 ·
Thanks for the info this seems to be a real informative site. I believe i may have found the issue with wire being pinched and damaged under seat running up under gas tank. I repaired the wire and now just need to go on some rides to see if problem is gone. Lol on the karaoke OlHossCanada. And Thank you for the welcome. Will let you all know if the problem is gone.

#9 ·
Welcome to the forum.

#10 ·
problem fixed

Thanks for the welcomes. I believe the problem is now gone put about 100 miles on bike without any neutral light issues after repairing wire. I was worried it might be a sign of a bigger future problem. I hope to get many trouble free miles out of the vulcan this year. Thanks for the help. I plan on doing most if not all maintenance on this bike although i have not ever really done any major engine work, I am very mechanically incline even work as industrial mechanic for a company on a night shift so all the info contained in this sight will be a big help. I just got my clymers manual in the mail today.

#12 ·
It is also possible for the neutral switch to fail but that is not a really big deal either. I had an '82 Suzuki GS850L, and absolutely loved it. That thing would run circles around the Vulcan, and was almost as comfortable. And as much as I like my Vulcan, the Suzuki was a better bike. Looked better, MUCH easier to work on, was not a v-twin but still a cruiser. Had it's own identity. Back in the day, the magazine guys called them UJCBs (Universal Japanese Cruiser Bikes) I wish the Japanese had stuck with those instead of the Harley copies they make today.

BTW, welcome, and have you done the spline lube yet? If not, do it yesterday.

#13 · (Edited)
#14 ·
Yep, It's a beautiful bike. And as good as it looked back then, I think it looks even better now. The late '70s/early '80s were the heyday for Japanese cruisers. Mine was black with red. If the dealers had something like that sitting on the showroom floor today, I'd buy one, even if I had to remortgage the house.

I remember well when the 1980 Goldwing 1100 Interstate came out, in burgundy with gold pinstriping. Even being as young as I was, I thought it was gorgeous, and wanted one in the worst way. But it was way over my budget. I have a picture of one on my desktop, sitting side by side with a 1500. It makes the 1500 look downright ugly. Japanese bikes used to have class. I wonder what happened to it.

#15 ·
I have the work order for the splines being lubed by a cycle shop within 40 miles of my purchase of the bike. I am beleiving they should be good for awhile. But I guess it would always be better peace of mind to go through the process and see if it was done right by them.

#16 ·
Be careful with that. I've see threads pop up on here where people were told the splines were lubed, but the work had been done on the wrong part. I would recommend doing it on principle alone. Only takes about 20 minutes to get it done...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.