couple questions - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
New Member Introductions First Post?
Make your big introduction here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

couple questions

Is there anything to be done about rattling keys?? Is there possibly a shorter blank or anything to do to keep the noise down..

also..

I noticed my 'vulcan' is coming off on the side panels. Are the emblems available or do you have to buy a new side panel or shouls i just be proactive and take them off

PD

bilt saddlebags
red electropods and valve stem lights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 03:53 PM

First off. Welcome to the forum brother! I can't help you with the
Key but you can buy oem decals at bike bandit or Ron ayers I took mine off and they shined up real nice. I like it better without them. Also I may have 1 of the decals brand new In a box at home. I'll let you know.

Accomplishments;

Changed Final Drive Fluid
Iridium Plugs

NGK Spark Plug Wires
Bridgestone Spitfire Tires
Maintenance Free Battery
Lubed the Spline
Shaved and Coastered
Under Tank Air Filter
Re-Jetted
Vn900 Seat Mod w/ Honda 1100 Backrest
Rebuilt Petcock
Custom Mirrors
Custom SaddleBags
LED Taillight
Heads Up Voltage Monitor

Upcoming: Change front fork Seals & Oil, install highway pegs & floorboards
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

cool deal.. its my left side vulcan that is coming off.. the V was almost broken off.. I noticed it and put new 3m doublestick auto tape on it...we'll see how long it holds

let me know about you seat mod.. how did that work and what all do you have to do

Pittsburgh Dave
2001 VN750...old ride
2003 VN1600.. new ride

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 06:24 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittdave View Post
Is there anything to be done about rattling keys?? Is there possibly a shorter blank or anything to do to keep the noise down..
IMHO you shouldn`t have any other keys danging from the motorcycle ignition key ring anyway. The extra weight bouncing around will eventually damage the ignition lock mechanism. They will probably scratch up the dash too.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 08:31 PM

Garage
I have my house key and my hard bag key on mine, I know what you mean about the rattle. I have a rubber tab on my keychain (like the dealers use) and if I flip it the proper way it keeps the keys from rattling against the handlebars. I just hate carrying 2 keychains around.

"Show me a man who makes no mistakes, and I'll show you a man who doesn't do things." Theodore Roosevelt."

2007 Victory Kingpin
Current projects - 1986 VN750 & 1988 EL250
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 09:21 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

I don't recommend having more than the one key. I use those plastic coiled up key rings in different colors to help identify what key goes to what. Lowes has them in about 10 different colors. I have a key holder (a strip of wood with a row of hooks) on my bedroom wall where I keep all my keys, a separate one for each vehicle. Having a number of different keys on the same ring will not only damage the lock, it will scratch up the whole area. I carry my house key/gate key/garage door opener on a separate ring, which does not have a vehicle key on it. I carry it, and whatever vehicle key I am using.

I have an '02, and just a few weeks after buying it new, the right side emblem started coming loose. One day I got on it, my pants leg caught on the emblem and ripped it halfway off. I removed both of them, and thats the way it still is. I thought about having some vinyl decals made by www.edecals.com, which would be flush with the surface and not come loose, but never did. That is an option though, and would almost certainly be better than the stock ones that just won't seem to stay.

Those are another thing that got cheesier throughout the production run. My '93 had chrome sidecovers, and the emblems never came loose on those. Also, the first few years had Kawasaki emblems on the brake calipers, and stickers on the steering head covers and the coolant overflow tank cover. The blank spots are still there, but no emblems. I still think that the reason there are so many '85 and '86 models still around is that they were made much better than later models. They may have even lubed the splines on those models. I especially like the paint on the '86, I never did like the two tone tank with different color sides.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 10:28 PM
Concert connoisseur

Garage
I carry about 12 keys on me at all times (work, cars and home, bike too) when I ride the bike I use the spare and only put it in the ignition, when I get to where I'm going I throw it in my pocket, when i get home it stays in the bike, no I wont tell you where I live, LOL

1986 vn 750 aka "Huck Farley"
42,000 miles
Rick's stator and rr
Tuxedo stator cover mod
pickup coil mod
dampers replaced
agm m/f battery
Harley sportster exhaust, degoated
Hid conversion
splines lubed
custom "vn750.com" grill cover
NGK Iridium spark plugs

acct to mcct mod https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17917

rekeying locks, https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7309

stator replacement walkthrough, https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11369
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 11:28 PM Thread Starter

i looked up the side covers on ebay... does nothing ever happen to the right side of the bike??? 3 pages of parts and not one right side cover to be seen.. granted mine is messed up on the left side too..but geez.. i would think somebody would need a right side cover once in a while..
i might go and replace them both with the chrome covers
has anyone done that with the blk/gry tank.. thats what i have and wondering how it would look.. or i could go custom black and gold and put my Steelers logos on it,,,ya never know

Pittsburgh Dave
2001 VN750...old ride
2003 VN1600.. new ride
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 09:27 AM

Garage
As for the keys....I only have 3 keys on my key chain, but I also use a leather pouch to wrap the "loose" keys up with when on the bike. Something like this:

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/27...showimage.html

You can probably find one of those neoprene or rubberized key holders to tuck the loose keys into also. It helps to stop the rattling. The pouch seems to lay horizontal on the handlebar clamp cover, so I don't think it is stressing the switch much.

I think the left side covers get more abuse because that is the side most people brush with their pants and riding gear when swinging their leg over the seat.....just a theory..lol
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 10:23 AM
Member? ... check.

Garage
I have a small carabiner that I snap a few smaller rings and keys on. My bike has the ignition key on its own small ring. I remove it from the carabiner when I need it for the ignition. I place the carabiner with the rest of the keys I need with me in my zippered jacket pocket. This method allows me to have only the ignition key in the ignition switch while riding, and still have other keys with me. no rattle, no damage. Using the carabiner means I can easily secure the bike key while stopped for a legstretch.

~~C8>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement