newbie batt volatge question - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
New Member Introductions First Post?
Make your big introduction here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

newbie batt volatge question

Since my '01 that I just bought died on me last week its been charged and all has been OK since. It was on the battery tender overnight on Saturday. I checked the voltages today and they are as follows

Batt off - 13.03
Batt on - 12.65
engage start - 10.85
idle speed 13.2
2500 rpm 14.2
my voltage would go down from there but not drop below 12.5
The batt that came with the bike is by Western Power Sports. It is an MF, but I expected more volts at higher rpms.. Is there anything I should look for??

The bike is running fine, just wondering since I just purchased it from another private seller

Thanks in advance

Pittsburgh Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 05:28 PM
Member? ... check.

Garage
If you would like suggestions for trouble free electrics:
Clean and grease (di-electric grease) the batt(-) ground connection to the frame. Clean the batt(-) connection to the engine. Clean and grease the batt(+) connection to the starter motor in the front of the bike.
Clean and grease the stator wire bullet connections, and all R/R connectors. Make sure the connectors all fit snugly.

~~C8> Ratt
Next: LED's
Will Do: Horns, Shave(maybe)
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 06:16 PM

From what has been said on here the electrical system for VN750's is a bit on the week side. If your getting 14.2 @ 2500 RPM's seems to me your charging system is functioning properly. The manual states that you have to have the RPM's up a bit to check it.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 10:49 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

14.2V at 2500 rpm is excellent, and normal. The one thing I would do, if you have the ability, is to remove the 3 bullet connectors in the 3 yellow wires that go from the stator to the R/R and solder the wires directly together. My wires burned at those connectors, indicating high resistance and a bad connection. One of the connectors broke off while I was trying to unplug it. If you do solder them, make sure it is done right, a bad connection will cause high resistance and the wires will still burn, possibly taking the stator and R/R with them. The current from the stator needs a low resistance path from the stator to the R/R.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 10:44 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by VN750Rider/Jerry View Post
14.2V at 2500 rpm is excellent, and normal. The one thing I would do, if you have the ability, is to remove the 3 bullet connectors in the 3 yellow wires that go from the stator to the R/R and solder the wires directly together. My wires burned at those connectors, indicating high resistance and a bad connection. One of the connectors broke off while I was trying to unplug it. If you do solder them, make sure it is done right, a bad connection will cause high resistance and the wires will still burn, possibly taking the stator and R/R with them. The current from the stator needs a low resistance path from the stator to the R/R.
X2?/\/\

ALSO: if you keep the bullet connectors as they are, make sure they are not bundled together as they do get hot and will tend to melt the covers if they overheat....this might cause them to short out to each other or to whatever they are contacting. I left mine loose and used a wire tie on the frame tube. I slipped a second wire tie under that one and make a large loop to keep the wires from getting too close to the rear of the exhaust port on the rear cylinder. If the covers on mine melt again, I plan on removing the connectors and just soldering them together like Jerry suggests.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement