Newbie from Joplin, MO - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
New Member Introductions First Post?
Make your big introduction here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-03-2012, 06:07 PM Thread Starter

Newbie from Joplin, MO

Hi everyone, been lurking here for a week or so and thought I should join. I'm currently looking for my first bike and the vn750 caught my eye. I hadn't given much thought to owning one, but the more I see them, I'm kind of getting hooked on them. Some people have said they are not the most appealing looking bike (please don't be offended) but I am really digging the way they look. Besides, I like the idea of having a bike that doesn't look like every other bike on the road.

I'm still concerned about the power of the bikes, but I'm hearing that they are not a bad choice for a 1st bike. I have to admit I was kind of concerned about the issues some have posted about here (stator, splines, electrical) because I am not overly-mechanically inclined. I dont mind changing oil, battery replacement and such, but I don't have the guts to start taking a Dremel to a bike.

I'm going to be "stuck" with whatever bike I purchase for a few seasons so I'm hoping to get something comfortable, that is easy to learn on but not too powerful (Hayabusa, anyone?). I rode a 550 ltd a little over 25 years ago (less than 50 miles total) and I remember that I thought it was an awesome bike.

Anyway, I just thought I would check in and also tell you that I think the way you guys are so open about helping each other is great. You have a great site and I'm happy to be a part of it. Even if I am a cager, for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-03-2012, 06:39 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Welcome to the forum. You made a good choice in a bike. Plenty of people here to answer questions.

JM2001

" Loud Pipes Risk Rights "

2001 Vulcan 750
marbled
TOC upgrade on ACCT
Air/fuel mixture set to 2 1/2 out
rectifier relocated
splines lubed
iridiums
decals removed
upgraded mirrors
Pic up coil mod done
degoated
All LED lighting
Upgraded Mosfet rectifier
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-03-2012, 06:43 PM

Welcome Spanky don't worry about the vn to much some have problems and some don't much like any other bike, and they aren't to dificult to work on, I have just got mine and it wasn't a runner when I got it but thanks to the guys on this forum it is now running well it had been stood for along time but the charging is fine splines were like new and already greased up and the electrics are fine not bad for a 26 year old bike and nice and easy to handle power if you want it but you control the power with your right hand, so jump on in the waters fine and its not all bad news

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-03-2012, 07:21 PM

Garage
Welcome Spanky!
The VN750 is a great bike and you will love the low slung weight for nimble maneuvering, as well at plenty of power for any type of driving you can handle. I drive mine on the interstate to work 20 miles each way and I have no worries when it comes to power. Even when cruising at 70mph you still have plenty left to pull away from bad situations if you need it.

Don't let all the posts about troubles scare you. Just know that if something were to go wrong with the bike, there are plenty of great people on this forum willing to help with advice, instructions, and someone might even be close enough to come and lend a hand if needed. You will enjoy this group...and the bike as we all do!
Good luck! and ride safe!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-03-2012, 08:44 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to cglennon
Welcome Spanky!

The VN750 is my first bike. One of the reasons I picked this model because:
  • It is light and easy learn maneuver (so it is good for learning)
  • It has plenty of power and agility (so it is good for intermediate riders)
  • There are plenty of well priced and lightly used '05 and '06 models available on Craigslist (where I bought my '06)
  • Every part for the bike is available on eBay (if I need something)
  • I like the classic '80 styling (I loved the '80s)
  • There are not a lot of upgrade options (so I won't keep buying stuff I don't need)
  • This forum has all the information needed to keep the bike running and spot problems before they become a major issue
Going on 4 years now and no regrets, haven't had any major repairs, and never stranded (other than a case of POOGS, which I knew how to correct from the information on this forum).

Chris Glennon - Portland, OR
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies! I'm going to look at a couple of 750s this week (hopefully), I'll let you know how it goes.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 03:43 PM

Welcome to the forum. As someone who started out on a smaller bike, in my opinion the VN750 is not a good starter bike; too much power for a beginner. Whatever bike you buy, be sure to take the MSF basic rider course. It will teach you the basics of riding and how to be a safer rider.

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 07:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flitecontrol View Post
Welcome to the forum. As someone who started out on a smaller bike, in my opinion the VN750 is not a good starter bike; too much power for a beginner. Whatever bike you buy, be sure to take the MSF basic rider course. It will teach you the basics of riding and how to be a safer rider.
That's my concern with starting with a 750. When I started researching bikes, I found beginnerbikers.org. They have a section on their site that addresses...wait for it...beginner bikes. The general consensus seems to be that a 250 is the best bike to start with. As far as cruisers go, a 650 is about the max recommended bike and a 750 is really a "gray area" bike.

My understanding from that site is that a beginner bike should be less than 500 lbs. and less than 50 hp. For instance, a Shadow 750 doesn't meet the criteria, but could be a starter bike for someone that has passed the BRC and did well.

Bike choice isn't something I'm taking lightly, I am going to take the BRC and believe in ATGATT, including a full-face helmet. The riding I intend to do, is basically weekend mornings when traffic is low, and on county roads/ city streets where the speed limit doesn't exceed 45-55 MPH. I have butt tested a V-star 250 and like it, but I'm going to be "stuck" with whatever bike I buy for a few seasons. I don't think I would outgrow the 250, but I'm worried that after a season or two I am going to want something with a little more power.

I certainly appreciate any and all input regarding my first purchase. So far I was thinking that the vn750 isn't recommended as a starter bike, but wasn't considered off-limits like a 1000+ cc bike is.

Thanks for the replies!
-Tracy.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 11:44 PM

Hi Tracy and welcome to the group. Joplin is my home town so I had to drop in and say howdy. I agree about the VN750 being an intermediate bike. While its light and handles really well, it has more power than most bikes in its class so it takes some getting used to. I promise you that the 250's you will outgrow quickly thoigh so just know that going into it. If you are really careful and don't outride your comfort zone, you should be fine with the 750 but only you can know if you can handle it. Hold off on buying a bike until after tha class and you will be better prepared for making that decision. Good luck! And say hi to my old stomping grounds for me!

Fergy
Kyle, TX VN750.com member #707 VROC#19556
2002 VN1500 Classic
Spline Lube Procedure, with photos, R/R Relocation and Coil Mod
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
Electrical Fault Finding Flowchart
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 11:50 PM

welcome to the forum!!!

www.vulcanriders.us scuba
vn750.com scuba
vulcanforum.com scuba54220