Brand New Bike, And SUPER pumped!!! - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
New Member Introductions First Post?
Make your big introduction here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 01:30 AM Thread Starter

Brand New Bike, And SUPER pumped!!!

Hey Internet world!!!

In my first year of college, I decided to piss off my parents and get a motorcycle, and what better choice than an '86 Kawasaki Vulcan 750???

I LOVE the bike. I LOVE the lifestyle. I LOVE the freedom you feel on the open road.

Any tips, suggestions, initial repairs or maintenance, or any kind of advice at all would be appreciated, I have zero knowledge of the thing and I would like it to last as long as possible. Or if you're just looking to chat drop a post my way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 06:24 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by stabbert View Post
Hey Internet world!!!

In my first year of college, I decided to piss off my parents and get a motorcycle, and what better choice than an '86 Kawasaki Vulcan 750???

I LOVE the bike. I LOVE the lifestyle. I LOVE the freedom you feel on the open road.

Any tips, suggestions, initial repairs or maintenance, or any kind of advice at all would be appreciated, I have zero knowledge of the thing and I would like it to last as long as possible. Or if you're just looking to chat drop a post my way.
Welcome to the forum. All the info you need can be found here.

JM2001

" Loud Pipes Risk Rights "

2001 Vulcan 750
marbled
TOC upgrade on ACCT
Air/fuel mixture set to 2 1/2 out
rectifier relocated
splines lubed
iridiums
decals removed
upgraded mirrors
Pic up coil mod done
degoated
All LED lighting
Upgraded Mosfet rectifier
post #3 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 07:00 AM

Welcome Welcome!

Start with the Vulcan Versus and read, read, read... I started 6 months or so ago and am still reading... Loads of great information...

Stay Safe.

Accomplishments;

Changed Final Drive Fluid
Iridium Plugs

NGK Spark Plug Wires
Bridgestone Spitfire Tires
Maintenance Free Battery
Lubed the Spline
Shaved and Coastered
Under Tank Air Filter
Re-Jetted
Vn900 Seat Mod w/ Honda 1100 Backrest
Rebuilt Petcock
Custom Mirrors
Custom SaddleBags
LED Taillight
Heads Up Voltage Monitor

Upcoming: Change front fork Seals & Oil, install highway pegs & floorboards

post #4 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 09:56 AM
Linkmeister Supreme

Welcome to the Vulcan madness stabbert!
Click on the "ten things" link below in my signature and you will find more than ten things (LOL) to check out on your bike sooner rather than later.

Especially note fergy`s link to his rear driveline spline lube. This alone could save you big bucks.
Clean and service the rear brake drum, shoes and pivot points while the rear wheel is off too.

Kanuck69 has info about a searchable vn750 service and repair manual in this thread, and a link in his sig line too.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17667

Good luck with the new-to-you scoot. Get some training and take the MSF beginners course soonest, if you haven`t already.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
post #5 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 10:19 AM
Patriot Guard Rider

Congrats and Welcome. All the info you need has already been posted.

BTW, I strongly urge you to take the Motorcycle Safety Course, riders with muliple years of riding walk away more informed than they thought they would have.

Ride Safe.

1986 Black Kawasaki Vulcan VN750 "Black KAWK"
VN750 #9300 & VROC #33453

EMGO Handlebar, V&H Exhaust, Drop Shocks, Raised/Painted Fork, MeanStreak Seat, Tank Bib, ME880 Oversize Tires, Engine Guard, Custom Mirrors, Chris Products Turn Signals, Ear Shave, 150/42 Jets, PINGEL Fuel Valve, MCCT, Volt Meter, Shendegen R/R, AGM Battery, Coastered, .020 Coils, Relo Gauges & Headlamp, SilverStar Ultra, LED Flashing Brake Light, Center Stand Delete, WOLO Airhorn.
post #6 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 11:05 AM

Welcome to the forum, Hope you like to read because there is absolutly a ton of great topics and people to read about and if need be help you to rebuild the bike from ground up
post #7 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 11:15 AM

Garage
Welcome to the forum!

Like everyone else said...read the Vulcan Verses Section...and then everything else...lol
Do make use of the Google custom search at the bottom of the page for specific keywords before posting. I am sure that whatever questions you have to ask have already been covered.

The group is very helpful and extremely knowledgeable, so if you can't find what you are looking for, by all means ask!

Where do you reside? and what condition/year is your bike...post pics if you can! Be safe, and enjoy!
post #8 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the FANTASTIC information guys. much more than I was expecting and I appreciate it. To answer your questions...

I'm taking a rider safety course soon. Just signed up

I have an '86 Kawasaki Vulcan 750, in great shape, only about 6 thousand miles on it.

I'll post pictures as soon as I pull it out of winter storage. Which by the way...

Any tips for pulling it out of storage? I'll definitely change the oil and check tire levels, but I'm not too engine savvy and I'm trying to become engine savvy.

Thanks again guys!
post #9 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 05:59 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

How long has the bike been stored? Was it prepared for storage properly, or just parked after the last ride?

Old tires can be unsafe, even if they look brand new.
Here is a link to help you find and read the 4 digit date code that tells you when your tire was made, and what that means to safety.
http://blog.unsafemotorcycles.com/20...e-matters.html
In this example the code is 3505, which means the 35th week of 2005.

Did the toolkit come in the toolbox in the back of the seat? The Kawi tools are not very high quality, but the 18mm spark plug socket is useful if you have it. If not you need a deepset, thinwall 18mm socket to get the plugs out of one recepticle on each cylinder. I think wib714 has a Craftsman part number for a 3/8" drive socket in his sigline.

Edit-- here is wib`s info: spark plug socket, craftsman part# 44435 18mm deepwell 3/8 drive

If you don`t have any tools yet, consider getting the "Metrinch" wrenches and sockets. You can use the same set on fractional inch nuts and bolts, ie. 1/2", 9/16" etc., as well as 12mm, 14 mm etc. jthill was the member who introduced them here I think.
http://www.metrinch-tools.com/website/introductie.php

Read through the ten things and ask about specific questions you still have.
You need an inexpensive electrical multimeter to check voltages, resistance etc. Probably $10-20 at Harbor Freight.
Probably need a battery tender or low amp (1.5-2 amps) battery charger too.

If you have an older style wet cell battery with 6 caps on top to add distilled water, change it out for a Maintenance Free-Absorbed Glass Mat (MF-AGM) at the first sign of trouble.

This Deka is a good one at a good price, if you can`t find one locally.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Deka-ETX15L-..._Parts&vxp=mtr

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9127

Last edited by OlHossCanada; 02-19-2012 at 07:13 PM. Reason: added wib`s socket info
post #10 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 06:55 PM

Welcome to VN !...piss off parents, eh ?...glad both of mine are over 30 and know better, lol.

Quote:
Any tips for pulling it out of storage?
One word....GAS !...dump whats in there, including a carb draining, and put fresh in with a dosing of SeaFoam. You'll be glad you did.
I have an 85 VN700 that was leaning against a barn for 5 years (what we hillbillies call "storage"). You dont even wanna hear my gas/carb issues. Be happy yours was in storage. But definitely deal with the gas before anything else.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement