Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

Old New Guy

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  niterider 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

It's been about 35 years since my last bike, a 650 Yamaha. I think I've fallen back in love again with my 2004 Vulcan 750. I'm really looking forward to learning what you guys here can teach me .

But, there is one thing I need to clear up. I've been riding again for about a week. The protocol for the fellow biker greeting seems to have changed somewhat.

We use to raise the left hand a little above the hand grip. Now everyone seems to drop the hand down low. I just want to greet other riders without insulting anybody. What is the proper procedure?

The thing that really bothers me is when I don't return a greeting because I don't see the guy on the other side of the highway until he is almost past me.
So, if you pass me and I don't acknowledge you properly or at all; please understand, I'm just an old fart having a lot of new fun and I don't mean to offend anyone.

#2 · (Edited)
Welcome!!

First of all, let me have the honor of the first to welcome you here. I've learned so much here, I'm a newbie as well. I know what you mean about missing a wave, ya almost feel crappy. They prolly think you're driving a hardley and write it off to that! I've only been riding a year & 2 months now & that's the prevelant wave I see, the cool hand luke low arm jut. Unless you recognize a hardley, then it's the middle finger salute...lol...just kidding, just venting a little over all the snubs I've gotten from hardleys. But there's all kinds of them too-lots of great guys on hardleys. It's all about Karma; unfortunately my karma ran over my dogma! Cheers :smiley_th -jim

#3 ·
Welcome to the forum. Great place to be at. Hand down toward the ground is normally used around here.

#4 · (Edited)
Hello and welcome here, and back to riding as well. I use the hand toward the ground, a small gesture above the left grip or a nod depending on the conditions, what ever is safe at the time. The only thing I find insulting is being completely ignored. I usually get varied responses up in Ma. but often I get nothing from HD riders, sport bikes and scooters ( I don't bother with them anymore lol). I try not to let it better me but it does sometimes, especially when they look right at ya and conditions are perfectly safe... but nothing. I find it's more often that I get a return wave, cuz there more riders who get it then don't. Best of luck with your bike. Ride long and safe.
Dave.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.