Explosives Guy - retired - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
New Member Introductions First Post?
Make your big introduction here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

Question Explosives Guy - retired

I started riding in 1968 on a BSA 441 Shooting Star. Married and traded for a Suzuki TS250R Enduro. Moved to Minnesota, too cold, riding season too short - sold bike. Moved to Maryland in 2003, bought 2002 VN750 on eBay from guy in Fairfax, VA. Still looks new in 2010.

I'm having a cold-starting issue. Do I post it here or on another thread?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 05:01 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Welcome to the Vulcan madness Dr. Pete. I`ll take your question here, although it could go to the carbs and fuel forum too.

It is unclear in your post if you bought the bike in 2003 when you moved to MD, or if you just bought it with a cold starting issue recently. I will assume the latter.

Hard starting, cold or hot, has been a common problem with the vn750. It likes a fully charged battery. If you still have a conventional wet cell battery with caps on top to add distilled water, change it out for a Maintenance Free- AGM battery (MF-AGM). These are sometimes mistakenly called "sealed", but they are really Valve Regulated Lead Acid (VRLA) technology.

Here is a link to a good one.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Deka-...item3eee173adb

Combined with changing out your current spark plugs for a set of NGK Iridium DPR9EIX-7 plugs will probably cure the cold starting problem. If not try using 1/2 choke. We had a thread during the past month or so addressing your cold starting problem and several members mentioned finessing the choke to get the engine started in cold temps.

If that doesn`t cure your problem get back to us and answer the following questions.

Has the bike been sitting for an extended time without being ridden? How long?
How many miles on the bike?
Has anything been modified to your knowledge?
How many previous owners?

How does it run once you get it started? Smooth? Rough? Flooding/rich with black exhaust? Lean with backfiring?

You will probably get a few more answers here, even during this slow holiday season. Hope you enjoy getting back on two wheels. If you haven`t ridden for 35-40 years you may want to consider taking the MSF BRC just to get reaquainted with a bike and the differences from your old BSA.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 05:50 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Welcome to the forum. "There are very few problems that cannot be fixed through the proper application of explosives!"

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 09:24 AM Thread Starter

Dr. Pete Senior Newbie Response

I'll submit problem details to the carbs and fuel forum. BTW, I already have installed MF battery and those trick "pointy" electrode sparkplugs came with the bike purchased used in 2003.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 10:02 AM
Retired USAF (IYAAYAS)

Garage
I'm a retired "461" AMMO troop from the Air Force. There's a few things I have thought about plopping a small shape charge on but..... this web site will be a God-send for you. And it's more quiet than reverting back to old habits.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011, 12:26 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

The Vulcan 750 just seems to take a little longer to start than some other bikes. I've had 2 brand new ones, both always had to turned over a few times before they started, especially after sitting overnight or longer. My last new bike is an '09 Ninja 500R, and it starts as soon as you hit the button. It also turns over a lot faster with the starter than the Vulcan. I think the combination of the Vulcan turning over more slowly than most bikes with the starter, and a weak charging system, causes the spark to be weak at cranking speeds. I tried those plugs, and couldn't tell the difference, but many people like them and believe they help, which they may under the right situation. I always keep my carbs clean, and plugs properly gapped. I did remove the starter once and clean it out, it was packed full of black dust. After cleaning it out thoroughly with a whole can of contact cleaner, it did turn over a little faster, but the Vulcan is just a slow cranking bike.

I have also occasionally had hot starting problems. I believe they are caused by the same issues above, plus really lean jetting. I've had several backfires while starting hot. Turning the carb pilot screws out a couple more turns from the stock setting seems to help a lot with hot starting.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement