My first 750 - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
New Member Introductions First Post?
Make your big introduction here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-07-2010, 08:28 AM Thread Starter

My first 750

Hello all, I have not had a bike in years. So this summer I decided to get another one. I started with a suzuki but really wanted a kawasaki. So I bought a 2000 vulcan 750. I really love this bike, a little tall for me as I am short but the power is awesome, good acceleration, an all around great ride.
I do have a noise in the engine, I wondered if anyone one here knows a good 750 mechanic in the Albemarle area. WE have a kawasaki dealer but I prefer a more personalized mechanic who has worked in these a lot. It runs out fine and no other problems (except for some rust on chrome) I really love this bike and want to take care of it so it will last for a long time. Any ideas are appreciated.
I am glad I found this site I have already used it to get some other ideas. great site.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-07-2010, 08:46 AM

Welcome brother! You found the best VN750 website on the planet, no exaggeration.

If you want to know if there are good mechanics in your area, it would be best to let us know where "Albemarle" is. Perhaps you could include a country and maybe even a state.

We may be able to help also. If you describe or get video of the engine sound, I'm sure we can help. One of us thousands of people have probably had the same sound before. We can probably diagnose and assist you with doing it yourself.

Anyway, welcome again and best of luck with the bike. Post a picture when you get a chance and let us know where you're from.

Congrats!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-07-2010, 09:06 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Albemarle = the area around Albemarle Sound = eastern North Carolina. I know that as a former resident of Hyde County, which did not have an incorporated town or traffic light.

Edit: Albemarle is in central NC, NOT eastern NC!

Welcome to the forum. Have you read up on the Grambo Trick? There is a good possibility the ACCT springs are weak and making the noise you hear. Read the Vulcan Verses forum or do a search; you'll find it.

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts

Last edited by flitecontrol; 12-07-2010 at 09:03 PM. Reason: spelling

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-07-2010, 09:49 AM Thread Starter

thanks, I'm not a brother though I'm a sister lol. Albemarle is in Stanly County, North Carolina. Sorry I did not think about saying that before.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-07-2010, 02:55 PM

^ No worries Sister, flitecontrol's got your back! If memory serves, the ACCT (automatic cam chain tensioner) fix isn't particularly daunting. DIY is a great learning tool and saves tons of cash too...
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-07-2010, 03:20 PM
Daily rider

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomore09 View Post
thanks, I'm not a brother though I'm a sister lol. Albemarle is in Stanly County, North Carolina. Sorry I did not think about saying that before.
Well, it's good to have a sister on here. All us brothers bring sometimes too much testosterone. I know, I know, there's still a couple of active sisters, but you get the idea.

2017 Indian Roadmaster (current ride)
2003 VN1600A (Traded August 2017 to #1 son for a Bushmaster AR)
2001 VN750 bought 4/19/08 w/2309 miles(Sold April 2010 with just over 12,000 miles)
VROC #33035
__________________________________________________ ________________
Just when I thought I was winning the rat race, somebody moved the finish line!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-07-2010, 05:47 PM

Shucks, I was hoping for another VN750 in Albemarle County, central Virginia. I know of one just around the corner, so there are two of us within a mile of each other.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-07-2010, 06:00 PM
Drive less, ride more...

If you would, tell us a bit more about your bike...what year model is it? What is the bike's indicated mileage? Do you have any repair/maintenance records for it? Are you the 2nd, 3rd (or what) owner? Do you know how the bike has been stored/cared for before you got it? What mods/accessories are on the bike (if any)? Any pics we can see of it?

I guess you probably already know that the state of NC has some of the best roads for MC riding east of the Mississippi river............

Anyway, welcome to the Forum! Lots of good info and people here. This Forum really makes owning a VN750 a much more enjoyable experience....

'05 VN750

For other bike pix & mods, go to:
http://s1203.photobucket.com/albums/...k/VN750%20pix/
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-07-2010, 07:37 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Welcome to the Vulcan madness sister.

There is lots of help here if you want to learn to do some wrenching on your own bike. Can you tell where the engine noise is coming from? You may be able to isolate the noise with a makeshift stethoscope using a long screwdriver or piece of wooden doweling.

Here is a link to an online mc repair course if you are interested.
http://www.dansmc.com/MC_repaircourse.htm

There are a few options I can think of for your vertical challenge.
1. Thicker soles on your boots (with a ramped heel making it easier to slide your feet forward and back into a comfortable position on the pegs.)

2. Get the seat pad reshaped - foam lowered and/or narrowed.
example here: http://www.buttbuffer.com/roadblock.asp

3. Aftermarket seat, Corbin, Saddleman, or Mustang (not sure which ones are lower.)
4. Shorten the rear shocks from the stock 12.5" to 11.5", and let the fork tubes slide up 3/4" in the triple clamps to keep the attitude of the bike level.

Enjoy the ride.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html

Last edited by OlHossCanada; 12-07-2010 at 07:55 PM.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-09-2010, 03:05 AM

Welcome to the site.

2005 Vulcan 750
Black and Silver
Windshield
Saddlebags
OEM Hghwy Bars
O-ring Footpegs
OEM Luggage Rack
V&H Exhaust System
TOC ACCT Rebuild
Die Hard Gold AGM MFB